os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6525

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Intel Wifi 5300 chipset supported ?
Data: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 20:13:30 -0500
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Hey...

On 02/03/10 07:25 pm, Stan Sidlov thus wrote :
Me?
Yes, you. Glad to see you're still with us, buddy. :-)
The 2200 I bought from you was to put into my wife's Toshiba which was only designed for Achereos(?)
Atheros ;-)
cards in the BIOS/Hardware or something like that, I had to use a blade to cut two of the contacts (this was a known) to make it work, but the physical switches on the laptop won't work (a known).  That laptop runs so hot, that the card's holders are brittle and cracking, too.
Ah, now I recall. I was thinking it was for a ThinkPad. Mea culpa. Still, I ran into the 1802 issue with a 2915 (supported card) in a T43 (it was a Dell OEM card and not an Intel or IBM OEM one).
 I was thumbing through the electronic sale papers to day and laptops w/ a i7 720qm w/4G ram, 15.6" screen, 3hr battery, 500 G hd, and GT230M w/1Gb discrete memory were under a $1000. i3 versions half that.   There's going to fire sales on dual cores in the stores soon.

True, but much of the quality is tanking as well, from what I can see. Cases so light that they break too easily (and flex, which is actually worse); LCDs in lids with no rigidity; poor ventilation (okay, I run a T43, and it can fry an egg - though it keeps my hands warm this time of year!)...the list goes on. Still the business class machines are $1K - $2K. The others can be tossed after 18 months (which is the point, after all).

Cheers/2
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com <mailto:os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>> wrote:

        Unknown. I know that I had a batch of 2200's and another of
        2915's, and at least one or two gave Stan some fits in a
        ThinkPad. I was surprised, but happened to test one a few
        weeks ago in a T43, and the dang thing wouldn't boot up (and
        the 1802 fix for the earlier series does *not* work on the T43
        and above).

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress