From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Booster Antenna
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:33:54 -0500

Hi, Jordan...

On 02/03/10 09:28 pm, J R FOX thus wrote :
Hi Lewis,

Would you have any comments about the usefulness of add-on
omnidirectional, high-gain booster antennas ?  Hawking, for
example, sells a few models of these.  (I wouldn't even look
around for something like that unless it turns out that I run
into signal strength issues re certain locations.)  I'm thinking
such a question would be OS-neutral.
Indeed, it is OS-neutral.

Chuck's setup is a bit different from what you propose. In his case, he is using a directional antenna to "beam" signal to a remote link. In your case, you are thinking of increasing your signal dispersion (saturation) omnidirectionally, if I read your words correctly, and knowing what I do of your new setup.

You have four ways to boost signal if your devices have trouble holding onto it, before adding a second unit (which I just did recently for someone with a "dead spot" in his house):

  1. Increase output wattage at the transceiver. This is not usually
     desirable, as it tends to overheat these little units. Also,
     finding the right mix can be difficult, and just shouting more
     loudly may not get you the results you want (increased output also
     means increased noise).
  2. Move the AP to a better location, where you get good signal in
     more places where you are likely to use it.
  3. Use a passive reflector to help "bounce" signal back into your
     desired space which might otherwise be lost (or leaked).
  4. Use higher gain antennas (or antennae, depending upon whose
     English you might prefer) to better distribute the available
     output form the device.

Any or all of the above may be used to solve particular problems. You won't know if/what/where you have any until you start it up and start wandering around with a wireless device (or connect a wireless device in another room). You may be able to get good signal to this first device, but upon connecting the next, find that your "optimum" placement is across the room. That's when the above come into play.

So, to more succinctly answer your question, yes, high gain omni antennas are good - where you need them. In confined spaces, or spaces which need more shaping, you may just find that they spread out too far.
IAC, the *first* wireless connection that is going to be set up
here will be when they do the install for DirecTV tomorrow.  Their
guy that I spoke with at length in advance of this claimed that
their wireless connection would _not_ place too high a drain on
the bandwidth from the router, slowing down my normal cable
internet appreciably.  I'm hoping that wasn't a big fib !
They use this wireless connection to push their system updates,
programming grid, and VOD out to us.

I'm wondering how much data they push/pull for VOD. Surely the programming grid is negligible. Mine (cable) updates every night for a few minutes, but it's dog slow (likely because of the poor quality - read: low bandwidth - of the tuner's CPU).
Jordan

[Unrelated P.S.: Our local electric utility is beginning an
area-wide campaign of installing "smart meters."  They provide
24 / 7 data to the utility, with supposed potential energy
savings.  (For them, not for you.)  This changeover cuts your
power for several minutes, and then when it comes back on
there is quite a big surge.  They tell you to unplug everything
beforehand, but haven't been giving good advance notice for
the timing of this at one's particular house or block.  There
have been local news stories about people having plasma TVs and
other appliances burned out by this !  When they tried to file a
claim, they were offered a real joke, by way of recompense.  This
work is subcontracted out to a third-party vendor which is very
hard to contact, and disclaims any responsibility.  BEWARE, in
case this plan is Coming Soon to a power utility in your area !]

Yes, I've heard horror stories of these things. Unfortunately, without good a arrestor, anything connected to the bus is a potential casualty. Good warning for all to heed. ;-)

Thanks!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress