os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6536

Da: "J R FOX" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: eCS install of a new NIC
Data: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:47:37 -0800 (PST)

From the SCOUG List:

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Ray Davison wrote:

> So what NIC is it?  I have a couple on-board RTL 81XX
> that are not 8139 that work with the 8139 files.

This is what I just bought:

   http://en.ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=item&id=1621

But in the case of some recent model laptop or desktop, where
the wireless NIC is some chip on the MB, who knows what it may
be.  (Hopefully the PCI utility will be able to i.d. it.)
Standard eCS support is not a given.  Genmac improves the odds,
in many cases.

> >> And why do you want to know the MAC address of a
> NIC. I have never known the address of any of mine.
> >
> > If you're using WPA or WPA-2 (I will be) to connect
> wirelessly, you'd need this to tell the router *which*
> devices have permission to connect.  The Mac address
> will be on a sticker on physical cards, NIC-sticks, and
> Access Points like the Asus, but won't be so labeled if it
> is just a chip on the MB.
>
> The only device that is "allowed" to connect wirelessly to
> my router is the one in which I entered the password.
> I didn't tell the router who to let in, I told my laptop how
> to get in.  I thought our routers were similar.

Well, I have before me the example of how my brother (who
understands this stuff far better than I do) set up another
relative's wireless router -- which is how he always does it.
It is set up for WPA2-AES.  Entered into a table in the router
is a list of about 15 MAC addresses, belonging to the NICs of
various household or guest computers.  If YOUR device is not
on that list, you get an *immediate reject* when trying to
reach the router -- I don't think you even get as far as the
Password phase.  That is supposed to be the best security you
can set up with standard, consumer-grade hardware.

(Or maybe my brother he's just paranoid.)
He also turns OFF the broadcast of SSID, but Lewis told me
that this is a rather iffy proposition, with WPA-2.  (Is
that just for OS/2 ?  It seems to have worked out fine on
the other routers my brother sets up, which are Dark Side only.)

Ray, I know you live in a more remote area, where security is
maybe not as much of a concern, but I gotta tell you 'That is
NOT the norm.'  Take a look at this excerpt from a user review
of another adapter, from NewEgg:

"Cons: Range could be better, but that's why the antenna is removable! I plugged in a high-gain antenna and that eliminated the issue."

"Other Thoughts: I bought this for the sole purpose of wardriving because of its compatibility with Linux, specifically BackTrack (RALINK chipset). It works very well. Injection is flawless on most modes, and I can usually break WEP in 15 minutes. Excellent device, especially for the price."

At least he was unusually candid about his intentions.

I may take this to the wireless list for additional response.

 Jordan