Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] Driver Problem
Datum: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:13:24 -0500
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 02/11/10 10:18 am, Andy Willis thus wrote :
Thomas Dennis wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:33:37 +0100 "Thomas Dennis"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On 02/10/10 05:58 pm, Thomas Dennis thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, Thomas...

<snip>
Quickly responding to your inquiry of Andy: Indeed, you need to follow
the onstallation instructions in the cbenable package & then use his
CONFIG.SYS snippet as an example of how to get it configured.

Also, I'm guessing since you mentioned that yours is an older laptop,
you're *not* using ACPI. As Andy mentioned, cbenable doesn't get along
well with ACPI (APM is no problem).

<snip>
Lewis:
It had me worried. I thought I had missed out on something that everybody
else knows about.
:-)

Unfortunately, as we are seeing fewer and fewer PC cards (and thus, fewer and fewer requiring support, particularly of GenMAC), there isn't much in the way of documentation - wiki or article or pdf or even Warpstock presentation material - specifically dealing with setting up GenMAC with PC cards. I dabbled with it, but didn't have the time to devote to really getting a viable setup. Andy has had experience now with several cards, so I was hoping he would weigh in on this. Somewhere, we should better document this type of setup.
I'm using an IBM A22m which does what I want it to do. If ACPI is
installed on my
Laptop, I didn't do it.
It's probably not. The A22m doesn't require it at all, predating ACPI (at least, the real popularity of ACPI) by quite some time. ThinkWiki seems to indicate that the A22m *is* supported by the Linux ACPI driver, however, but again, it's surely not required to get good power management from the machine. It's interesting to note, that unlike my recollection, apparently the A22m did not officially support OS/2 (I must have used mainly the T series drivers for it).
I asked about .arj because it seems to took quite a bit of time to get
it setup on
my PC. And another thing I noticed is, it adds another layer of
complexity to
what ever it is you want to do with your PC.
I never thought of it that way. Archivers are like screwdrivers: you use the right sized one for the job at hand. Sometimes, the handle may be a bit large for one's comfort, but hopefully, the job doesn't last so long as to give you a real cramp! :-)
Even WarpZip has changed since the last time I used it and it has cost
me some
time trying to get it doing what I want it to do.
I used to use WarpZip for many things, simply because it was handy. These days, for unpacking, I really like Alex's Archive Viewer. In fact, *that* supports ARJ (I just looked).
I'm getting to the place in my life where I don't need to prove I'm
great. I know
it, and that's all that matters.

:-)  I hear you, buddy!

Did the A22M have a pccard slot or just pcmcia slot?
You know, my mom's A22m is still downstairs on her desk, plugged in and charging (she's gone four years this weekend). I haven't looked at it in a long time, so I don't recall. ThinkWiki doesn't even mention the slots on its page (I guess I should log in and update that), although Lenovo says:

   PCMCIA: The Type III slot can accommodate two Type I or two Type II,
   or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported.
   Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port. PC Card Support Software: The
   auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA
   cards by sensing them automatically. PCMCIA cards supported by the
   auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales
   Manual.

As they mention 32-bit cards, they must be implying CardBus, no? the following c|net review states CardBus explicitly:

   http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/thinkpad-a22m-p3-900/1707-3121_7-5600308.html

Cheers/2

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress