os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6578

Da: "Andy Willis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Driver Problem
Data: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:48:47 -0700
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Thomas Dennis wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On 02/11/10 02:49 pm, Andy Willis thus wrote :
Thomas Dennis wrote:
Andy Willis wrote:
<snip>
Did the A22M have a pccard slot or just pcmcia slot?
Andy

Andy:
What's the difference?
It's listed in the Hardware Manager as a Card Bus.
It uses a TI chip as the controller. Does that help?

PCCard is 32 bit and pcmcia is 16 bit (AIUI). The difference we care
about though is that genmac will not work with pcmcia, only pccard.

And Thomas, this is specifically because PCMCIA does *not* link itself
to the PCI bus, but rather the ISA bus. GenMAC only supports devices
attached to the PCI bus. CardBus is a 32-bit extension to the PCI bus
(which is a 32 & 64-bit bus by design, vs ISA, which is 8 & 16-bit).

Lewis:
You had previously asked me some questions about the Card Bus
that I wasn't in a position to answer at that time.
Now I think you can find the answer to your question from the
PCI.LOG that I'm enclosing.
This is from my A22m IBM Laptop.

It looks like cbenable must be working as this would be what Lewis was asking for:
 Vendor 168Ch Atheros Communications Inc
 Device 0023h AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter
[168C:0023]

I do not see that this card is expressly supported.  These are the chipsets I see supported:
GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan [168C:0012]
GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan [168C:0013]
GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan AR5005g [168C:001A]
GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan CARDBUS [168C:001B]
GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan [168C:1014]

This is not to say it won't work but that it will most likely require unsupported mode to do so, which certainly means there are no guarantees.
Andy