From: "Thomas Dennis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] GenMac driver
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:33:56 +0100

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, Thomas...

Thomas Dennis wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

On 02/21/10 03:32 am, Thomas Dennis thus wrote :
Hi All:
I must have done something right because I now get the
GenMac Sign-on message.  But there is a small detail that
I haven't been able to correct.
And that's a green blinking notice that:
"No valid hardware found for (WRND32$)"
I don't remember where and I can't seem to be able to
find a reference to 'adding the word Unsupported' in
any of the posts left on my PC.
Can someone refresh my memory?

First, remember that "unsupported" mode may or may not work for your AR5008 chipset. You should review my Warpstock presentation on setting this up, which is available here:

http://www.warpstock.org/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=123

That should answer any questions you may have concerning how to set this up.

PS - The LANTRAN log won't give us the info we need at this point. If you get the driver recognized and then can't get protocols to bind or whatever, *then* LANTRAN.LOG may be helpful.

Cheers/2

Lewis:
There are some questions that I need to ask to bring me
up to speed in this area.  They may sound a little dumb,
but it's to see if I understand.  To sort out in my head
what to believe and what to forget.  What is this section in the PROTOCOL.ini [W8086x4224_NIF]
designed for. It looks like it would be something for an Intel chip.
I have no such entry in my PROTOCOL.ini.
Nor should you. Indeed, that is the entry for *my* Intel chip. Yours will be something like [W168Cx001C_NIF] for an Atheros AR5008, for example.
Is that due to the fact that the Chip Set in the D-Link
card is from Atheros?
Yes. The 168C is the manufacturer code, and the 001C is the model code. Put them together (168C:001C) and you have a PCI ID string. Each PCI device has a (hopefully) unique ID string.
Enclosed is what I have done with my limited knowledge on
the subject.
You have a semantic error in your PROTOCOL.INI:

[W168CX001B_nif]

  DriverName = WRND32$
  VENDOR = 0x168C
  DEVICE = 0x001C
  NDIS_SYS = "A3AB.SYS"
  NDIS_INF = "A3AB.INF"
  SSID = "WLAN"
  DEBUGLEVEL = "NONE"
  OPTIONS = "UNSUPPORTED"

For clarity, rename your wrapper directory to exactly match your device ID (i.e., W168X001C) and clean up your POTOCOL.INI entries to match. Leave your SSID set to ANY instead of WLAN, too (though this is probably immaterial).
I also would like to know more about the NDIS_SYS = and
NDIS_INF =.  When comparing .ini entry with yours they
are different.
Because our cards are different. These refer to the filenames of the Windows driver files located in the wrapper directory.
From where do these two entries originate?
If my understanding is correct than these two files should
be in x:\IBMCOM\MACS but these files aren't there.
No. Only the GenMAC nif and GENM32W.OS2 driver will be there. The wrapper files stay under the GenMAC tree.

Your wrapper nif is also incorrect. Under the FILE section, it should read:

[FILE]
Name = GENM32W.OS2
Path = IBMCOM\MACS

Are they in the WarpIN pakage?
Only *supported* drivers are in that package.
Or are these two from Windows?
Yes. You need to put them in your wrapper directory.
How much have I gotten right?
Some!
Just so you'll know, in the .rtf file all bold values are
original.  The other values I added/changed.

Is A3AB.SYS indeed the name of the Windows driver for the AR5008 chipset, and/or the card you are trying to use? If so, we may indeed get lucky. Otherwise, you'll need to adjust accordingly, by putting the actual driver and inf (or reg export) in the wrapper directory and making the appropriate changes to PROTOCOL.INI.

Lewis:
Here are the latest updated files for the D-Link WiFi card.
I have cleaned up the obvious errors and have added the two
Win2k/XP drivers for the Atheros chipset.
I have two more questions. What do you mean by "Wrapper Directory" and "GenMac Tree".
So far no lights with those names attached have been turned
on in my head.  I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Thomas
Attached File:  W168Cx001C.rtf (2562 bytes)
Attached File:  PROTOCOL.INI (942 bytes)