From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Project Question
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:06:26 -0500

Hey, Mark...

On 02/23/10 07:37 pm, madodel thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, Jordan...

On 02/23/10 12:55 pm, J R FOX thus wrote :

Copy the Win32 driver & inf to the newly created genmac\driver
\WRAPPER_168C_001C directory. Copy the nif you edited into the nif directory (and your \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\MACS directory, if you like).

For some reason, I was thinking that there was some _other_ project going on whose objective was to be able to use Win NIC drivers in eCS, just as the goal of eCups is to do this for Win printer drivers.  But, is that what GenMac actually is ?

Indeed, currently, GenMAC is the *only* project for this, although it is *not* open source. There is quite a bit of discussion going on concerning a successor project, as the GenMAC author has stated that he has effectively discontinued development.

Also, don't confuse eCUPS with the Win32PRN project. The later was supposed to be a wrapper for Windows printer drivers to install under OS/2. eCUPS is a port of CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) and does not rely on Windows drivers at all. Instead, CUPS relies on Postscript Page Definition (ppd) files, and is the standard method for printing to UNIX/Linux printers.

And CUPS has the benefit of being owned and updated by Apple for use on Mac OS X so it will continue to be updated. :-)

I learn something new every day (or at least I should). Thanks.

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L476+TFAQ+Q

Who knew? ;-)

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress