Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "J R FOX" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: DHCP: how to force a lease renewal ?
Datum: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:13:31 -0800 (PST)

After using fixed-IP DSL for many years, I'm still pretty new to
DHCP, which I previously only used as a Guest at others' residences
or offices. The other day, I lost the internet connection towards
the end of a few-hours session.  *Every* attempted URL then became
a 'Page Not Found.'  This hardly ever happened with the fixed IP +
DSL, and when it did it was very obvious that it was some major
event, like the local or regional AT&T broadband service being down.  (I think that is much more common around S.D., with TWC, where
someone will dig up a cable somewhere in the area, and then
Kablooey.)

But that's not really the kind of major service interruption I'm
talking about.  Far more common is something I've seen at a relative's
place, where some kind of "sync" is lost between PC, router, and
cable modem, where the connection is re-established by rebooting
each of these in a certain order.  I think that what I saw the
other day is much more common still, and involves loss / non-renewal
of the DHCP lease.  That is, I probably do not need to reboot the
computer, or the router, or the cable modem.  So, my question: What
is the command (or GUI object, or widget) in eCS to force a new
cable connection &/or new lease ?  (And, what is the equivalent thing
you can try in Windoze ?  If I was a 'Nix user, I'd ask about that
one too.)

 Jordan