From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: OT: Other OSes (was: Re: [OS2Wireless] DHCP: how to force a lease renewal ?)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:47:09 -0500

 :-)

On 02/28/10 09:52 pm, chekmarx thus wrote :
Lewis, Lewis ...

<big snip>

| That is an easy way on Windoze. Under GUI depends on whit incarnation. XP uou can RMB on the Wireless or wired network connections icon and use REPAIR.
| Another way is to RMB in the same icon and click STATUS and then click on the SUPPORT tab and then click the REPAIR button. Here you can see the results of your
| actions. Vista is impossible. Haven't seen W7 yet.

| I forgot all about the "repair" thing, probably because I've never quite figured out what it's supposed to do. Every time I've clicked it, it hasn't (repaired), so I just
| ignore it. ;-)

That's because you keep forgetting about the NULL function in Windows.  There are many, many different options in Windows that exhibit this behavior.  They are *supposed* to fix or correct something, something damnit!   So users keep on clicking ... and Windows keeps on executing the NULL function, which is essentially like a "Hello World" routine, only minus the Hello World portion of the code-base.

:-)

ROFL!
Bus seriously, I've been running Windows v7 since MS released the RC into the wild.  And I have nothing but good things to say about it.  For me anyway, it's been rock solid, installed like but-tah, doesn't use the NULL function, etc.

How it pains me to write those words!  But I'm tired of being a second-class computer-using citizen.  And I'm tired of having to *live-with-in" whatever software is only available for a ... uh hum ... a certain operating-system.  It's begins with a "e" and ends with an "s".

<snip>

As this isn't an advocacy list, I really don't want to get into a detailed response. I'm glad your computing needs are being met, whatever platform you choose to use. For me, one OS doesn't do everything I need, so I run several different ones. There's the philosophy of the ONE overarching platform which does everything, and which every device should use, just so that everything "looks" the same. Then there's the philosophy which postulates that it is usually best to find the best tool for a given job, and given that that job may change from day to day, hour to hour, and machine to machine, I find that "looking" the same isn't all that important. I mean, a screwdriver doesn't look much like a circular saw, but when you need to tighten just *one* Philips head, it's a good thing that the saw isn;t the only thing in your toolbox!

Again, this is getting pretty far afield for this list, so let's not continue this here. Come to Warpstock; we'll have dinner and bat this across the table a few times. ;-)

Cheers/2

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress