From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Hotel problem with Asus wl-330ge
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:36:17 -0400

Hey...

On 03/16/10 06:05 pm, Bob thus wrote :
** Reply to message from "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:58:54 +0000 (GMT)

Had an "interesting" time last week.

I had a problem a few weeks ago at a motel where I stopped.  It may not be the
problem you had but seems to be similar.

What I had was what appeared to be a DHCP compatibility problem.  The computer
would get an IP but did not get a DNS server IP or router IP (my wife's Windows
computer worked fine).  Since then I have created a REXX script (with help from
Steve Levine) to hopefully fix things if I have a reoccurrence.

While likely *not* Dave's issue, remember that options 60 & 77 in dhcpcd.cfg define vendor class & user class respectively. Some DHCP servers are stubborn, and will refuse to properly issue params to clients who do not identify themselves as <ahem> "MSFT 5.0" or similar (vs the default on OS/2 Warp 4.5 and eCS 1.x+, which is "IBMWARP_V4.1"). In that case, try tweaking option 60 (at least), and possibly 77 (note that 77 is typically dependent upon 60 being set, i.e., one would not normally set option 77 without setting 60). (dhcpcd.cfg is located in \MPTN\ETC, by default.)

Some links:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2132.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3004.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc227279(PROT.10).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc227281(PROT.10).aspx

I've witnessed all manner of weirdness caused by (oddly) configured DHCP servers, either out of the box (in small devices) or by otherwise-well meaning administrators who never consider the possibilities of clients who may need to connect (alternative OSes, handheld devices, gaming devices, bridge devices, etc.)...

I recall Laura Chappell (http://www.packet-level.com/ , among other sites) lamenting at Novell's ATT Live in Provo in 2005 that she has grown weary of constantly having to be the "network fixer" when staying at a hotel and the network is simply non-functional. I know the feeling. It seems that no matter where I go, there's another totally off-the-wall hotel network which simply doesn't work.

Expect nothing, and you'll never be disappointed!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress