From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Hotel problem with Asus wl-330ge
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:14:54 -0400

Hi, Dave...

On 03/17/10 04:11 am, Dave Saville thus wrote :
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:36:17 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Hey...

While likely *not* Dave's issue, remember that options 60 & 77 in dhcpcd.cfg define vendor class & user class respectively. Some DHCP servers are stubborn, and will refuse to properly issue params to clients who do not identify themselves as <ahem> "MSFT 5.0" or similar (vs the default on OS/2 Warp 4.5 and eCS 1.x+, which is "IBMWARP_V4.1"). In that case, try tweaking option 60 (at least), and possibly 77 (note that 77 is typically dependent upon 60 being set, i.e., one would not normally set option 77 without setting 60). (dhcpcd.cfg is located in \MPTN\ETC, by default.)

Right Lewis, I don't think it is the problem either - as the Artem
worked. So I would think the same DHCP request would go out either way.

Does the Asus unit act as a router or a bridge? If the latter, it would simply pass thorugh the DHCP request broadcast from the wired interface on the client. If it acts as a router, it would request an address itself (via its own DHCP client), and then respond to a DHCP request from the client (via its own DHCP server).

Many times, these devices are mislabeled. A DSL "modem," for example, performs no modulation or demodulation, as the signal coming to it is already digital. A true bridge device wouldn't actually have an IP address assigned to it, as it would simply "bridge" two different physical topologies. Still, marketing has a way of blurring the definitions...

The last small devices to be accurately named, I think, were ISDN terminal adapters (that is, until someone got the not-so-bright idea to start calling them "modems")!

;-)

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress