From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Wireless router
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:27:09 -0400

Hi, Will...

On 03/24/10 07:00 pm, Will Honea thus wrote :
** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:29:32 -0400

<snip>
Lew, if you live in an area served by a telecom that used them, the Actiontec
GT70x WG series of gateways have given me good service.
I thought about the ActionTec units after my last post in this thread. Indeed, these are fairly substantial units.
Intended for use as
DSL interfaces, they come in both wireless and wired-only versions as well as
single i/o points as well as 4-way.  DD-WRT supports them but they come native
with Busybox Linux.  In the years I've used them I've lost 2 in the 5-6 sites I
help support - both due to failures of the DSL phone input and suspiciously
close to big thunderstorms.
:-)

We just lost a Motorola Canopy point-to-point link at a municipal Wi-Fi installation we manage. My first thought was that a surge ran down and fried the PoE injector, but swapping that one for a known good one didn't help, so it appears that the damage was done up on the roof (oh, joy...heights). Never underestimate the power of nature... (Aside: Do atheists get a discount on homeowners insurance premiums by opting out of any coverage for "acts of g-d"? Just a random thought which occurred to me...)
The best part is the price - in areas with Verizon
or Qwest service like Colorado Springs, I've been able to buy surplus units for
next to nothing.  A month or so back, I picked up  3 of them for $20 total.

Wow. Just like what happened to Westell DSL bridges ($5 new, on eBay).
Seems Qwest changed suppliers to 2-Wire and the local market is flooded with
them.  The GT701 series lacks an ethernet connection for the output side of the
router but the hardware is there to add it - just buy an extra RJ45 socket to
solder in.  Not as well known as Linksys, I figure that for the price they are hard to
beat.  The one in my own office has been in service 24/7/365 since 2003.

Excellent advice, Will. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers/2

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress