From: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Wireless router
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:06:06 -0600

** Reply to message from "chekmarx" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:24:12 -0400

> Thanks Will for the info.  I knew that the POS strips didn't do much to
> protect electronic gear but I didn't know a two-strip approach would be a
> better route to go.  I need to get some sort of protection for my new
> system.  I was hoping to get something that would simply plug into a
> two-gang receptacle, replacing the face-plate.
>
> Would you happen to have any suggestions for a quality piece?
> (Basically money is no longer an issue.   I bought my system from Gene
> Alexander of EERAC Computers and want it to be protected!)

I've got one like that which also expands the double receptacle to a 6
receptacle.  It's labeled as being from PowerSystems but I have no idea how
effective it is.  I needed more sockets for all the crap we plug in when the
wife is working at the kitchen table and figured that since I wanted a 6-way
output I might as well get any protection I could from it.

I don't know if they are still around but a few years back we were using
PanaMax products for the monitoring and control equipment we produced.  They
included a protection circuit for phone lines as well a for the power line.  We
ran them through a bunch of lab tests and I really liked their design - they
have a couple of hunking big toroidal coils ahead of the MOV's which really did
a job on spikes.  As for field tests, we got one back with the complaint that
it "didn't work" anymore after a lightning strike on the water tower above the
equipment shed.  When I opened it up, I poured out a hand full of charred dust
- the entire inside of the unit was destroyed.  We replaced the unit, they
plugged the computer and stuff back in and everything worked!  Impressive.
They weren't the cheapest around but they served us well.  As I said, that was
a few years back but I think they are still in business.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>