From: "chekmarx" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Wireless router (mainly OFF TOPIC)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:48:16 -0400

Hi Mike,

Wow!  That's all I can think to say about such a massive lightening strike and the negative results.  No, that's not true.  I think you just convinced me to do two things:

1] Buy a UPS regardless of the physical size of the unit and find room for it no matter what!
2] Get myself some renter's insurance, regardless of the monthly or yearly premium!

If I got hit with lightening even only somewhat as powerful as you just described and lost my musical and computer gear I'd be looking in the neighborhood of $5 to $6 thousand to replace everything.  And some of the gear is nearly irreplaceable.  The Les-Paul guitar I own for instance increases in value every quarter of the year.  Models like mine run from $2000 to $10,000 depending on age and condition.  Gibson Les-Paul's are pretty much worth their weight in gold.  Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and take a look at the range of prices and you will be blown away.  Even their "Studio" models, which are basic pieces with all the sonic qualities of the more expensive models, they just lack the physical "beauty" of their pricier kin go for at least a grand and up.

So basically, you have scared the crap out of me!  You'd think with all my years of experience of working professionally with computers I'd know better than to tempt fate.  But at all the large firms I worked at we had *HUGE* power conditioners and a power outage due to any reason just wasn't something we ever had to worry about.  Out of sight, so out of mind basically ....

Do you have any quick methods of how-to size up what power-level of UPS to buy?  I know I can go to google.com and find the info but if you have some quick method off the top of your head it will save me the time of reading and figuring out for myself what I need.  Not to mention the fact that also I trust your judgment more so than what I might find on the 'net.

Thanks Mike, seriously!  You've knocked some digital sense into this old brain-pan of mine, and for that I am grateful.  I'd be sick if I lost even half of my gear!

Greg

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Mike O'Connor <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
chekmarx wrote:
Hi Mike,

No can do on getting a UPS as my living space is just too small as it is.  My apartment is basically three rooms - a large kitchen, a full bathroom, and a large living/bed room.  Which houses my bed, a triple-dresser (with only a tiny closet I have to keep all seasonal clothing in the dresser), a 19" flat-screen CRT television with digital cable box and DVD player, my computer desk and chair, a Mesa-Boogie Studio Caliber guitar amplifier, two electric guitars on wall hangers, my newly bought Ibanez electric-acoustic in a floor stand, a small Traynor practice amp, my large DigiTech guitar-modeler hardware, assorted effects petals and guitar cables, a nightstand, and finally a wooden floor stand just large enough to hold my Brother color laser printer.  Whew!  I'm exhausted just writing it all out ...

So as you can see, if I can avoid adding any more *physical* items that would take up floor space the better off I am ...

I bought my guitar-modeler (a DigiTech GNX3000 for full digital recording and modeling of assorted vintage and new amps along with a slew of digital guitar effects) without taking into consideration the space needed for hooking it up to my newly purchased Gene Alexander computer.  As it stands three-months later, I have to figure out the placement of the gear, as I need to run the DigiTech through the Mesa-Boogie amp's effects loop, then into my computer, also allowing for plugging in my guitar (which obviously I have to allow for the length of a full size Les-Paul guitar) into the modeler.  So basically I need to wait for those times when my back and knee problems allow for me to get down on the floor with a tape-measure and layout all the recording and computer gear.  CAD is great for playing around with various configurations, but the dimensions of everything has to 100% accurate!  So I have my work cut out for me.  Plus, just writing this up I realized I need to also allow for a stool for sitting when playing and recording since my computer chair is unusable for sitting and playing a guitar!

Yikes!

Greg

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Mike O'Connor <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com <mailto:os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>> wrote:

   Hi Greg,

   Get yourself a UPS!

   Regards,
   Mike

Hi Greg,

Except that I don't have any creative musical equipment at all - it sounds like my place on a smaller scale!
I have a pair of Blazer 800VA UPS units - each safeguarding a pair of systems and monitors. They are roughly 12" x 4" x 5" tall
so not a large footprint.

I got those in early May 2006 after the neighbouring home 20ft away got a direct hit by a massive lightning strike** at 07:03 UTC 2006-04-06 which blew all their power sockets off the walls, including those not in use - melted both their telephones - went down into the Telco's underground pit, which the neighbour had tiled over - so it couldn't exit through the vents in the concrete lid - thus travelled directly up my ADSL line, and blew just about everything that happened to be hardwired with CAT5, and what that was attached to, [ADSL"modem"/Gateway router etc., plus two Trinitron monitors/SCSI/video/NICs/Soundcards/motherboards/one SCSI disk turned to permanent R/O] - and melted both of my phones!

** The associated Fireball travelled 400ft up the concrete perimeter road in this village of 206 factory-built (relocatable if Utility services disconnected) homes! The stationary storm had developed in-situ overhead - tops about 70,000 ft (through the tropopause) very rapidly (only cloud in the sky!) - and as the sun was only 30 minutes from setting, and the cloudbase of the Cumulonimbus was around 10,000ft, with not a single prior rumble/crack/bang of thunder, until the instantaneous crash of the strike, unless one was outside at the time it commenced building, there was no intimation of impending doom!

I was still recovering from spinal surgery at the time, and was in fact resting on my bed, and one of the landline phones was about 2ft from my head when it got hit. The most amazing thing about it all was that my mains service didn't get affected at all - not a light flickered - the digital clocks in the Microwave/stereo, powered digital Alarm Clock etc., never missed a beat - only those items connected to the ADSL "modem" (recursively!) - all of which were powered off at the time - luckily otherwise I would have lost even more.

If I'd been using the phone at the time - this couldn't have been written!

Regards,
Mike

--
Failed the exam for

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)