From: "Sam Lewis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Hotel problem with Asus wl-330ge
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:25:22 -0500

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Dave Saville
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:57:08 -0500 Sam Lewis wrote:
>>Dave,
>>I doubt that it would have a problem routing your packets unless you
>>had an IP address conflict.  Your router would still be partaking in
>>two different networks and NAT'ing between them and your router would
>>have it's 24 bit subnet mask so any traffic from your laptop which
>>would have been outside it's network would still go to the gateway and
>>then in turn to it's gateway.
>>
>>Also I doubt that in reality they would have been using a 16 bit
>>subnet on a class on a class C range.
>>
>>Did you have any problems?
>>
>>The only problems I have had in hotels is that sometimes the gateway
>>IP address is outside the network of the IP address they assign to my
>>system.  In Windoze this doesn't seem to be an issue as it seems happy
>>with a gateway outside it's subnet but in OS/2, Linux and OS9 (Embeded
>>RTOS not Mac) this isn't allowed.  So I have to static IP my laptop
>>and massage the subnet mask.
>>My $0.02 worth,
> Hi Sam
>
> Yes I did have a problem in that using the Asus in AP mode I could not
> get to the web page to put in the authentication details because I did
> not get an address -  but every time I tried to get into the Asus it
> diverted to a "can't resolve something in the hotel network" popup.
> Putting my old Artem card in worked perfectly.

Dave,
Another thought about AP's.  I have two AP's and two Bridges on my
network and they all are on the wrong network.  I have rearranged my
IP scheme a few times over the last 10 years and they are now on the
incorrect network, however they pass traffic to my computers and
printer just fine, which are on the correct network.

So if your AP has a static IP you would have to static IP your laptop
to the same network to reconfigure it.  I would think that the wifi
traffic from your laptop would still have gotten to your AP's wired
port and onto the hotels network even though it is static IP'd on a
different subnet.  Unless of course there was a IP address conflict.

Again this is all subjective and just my opinion so it may not be worth much.
Sam