????????? #6752 ?????? ?????? ???????? os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

??: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> ?????? ?????????
?????????????? ?????????
????: Re: [OS2Wireless] Hotel problem with Asus wl-330ge
????: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:57:38 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:25:22 -0500 Sam Lewis wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Dave Saville
><os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:57:08 -0500 Sam Lewis wrote:
>>>Dave,
>>>I doubt that it would have a problem routing your packets unless you
>>>had an IP address conflict.  Your router would still be partaking in
>>>two different networks and NAT'ing between them and your router would
>>>have it's 24 bit subnet mask so any traffic from your laptop which
>>>would have been outside it's network would still go to the gateway and
>>>then in turn to it's gateway.
>>>
>>>Also I doubt that in reality they would have been using a 16 bit
>>>subnet on a class on a class C range.
>>>
>>>Did you have any problems?
>>>
>>>The only problems I have had in hotels is that sometimes the gateway
>>>IP address is outside the network of the IP address they assign to my
>>>system.  In Windoze this doesn't seem to be an issue as it seems happy
>>>with a gateway outside it's subnet but in OS/2, Linux and OS9 (Embeded
>>>RTOS not Mac) this isn't allowed.  So I have to static IP my laptop
>>>and massage the subnet mask.
>>>My $0.02 worth,
>> Hi Sam
>>
>> Yes I did have a problem in that using the Asus in AP mode I could not
>> get to the web page to put in the authentication details because I did
>> not get an address -  but every time I tried to get into the Asus it
>> diverted to a "can't resolve something in the hotel network" popup.
>> Putting my old Artem card in worked perfectly.
>>

>Dave,
>Another thought about AP's.  I have two AP's and two Bridges on my
>network and they all are on the wrong network.  I have rearranged my
>IP scheme a few times over the last 10 years and they are now on the
>incorrect network, however they pass traffic to my computers and
>printer just fine, which are on the correct network.
>
>So if your AP has a static IP you would have to static IP your laptop
>to the same network to reconfigure it.  I would think that the wifi
>traffic from your laptop would still have gotten to your AP's wired
>port and onto the hotels network even though it is static IP'd on a
>different subnet.  Unless of course there was a IP address conflict.
>
>Again this is all subjective and just my opinion so it may not be worth much.

Sam

Sorry my fault, when I said AP I meant access mode - ie like a card.
Asus can do router/bridge/AP/card. I don't think in that mode it gets
an address itself. The laptop did not get an address. *Something* was
confusing the routing inside the Asus. At least that was what it
appeared.

--
Regards

Dave Saville