From: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] connected to home WiFi but not communicating
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:40:07 -0600

** Reply to message from "Phil Parker" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:13:09 -0400

> On 04/04/2010 at 07:11 AM, "Neil Waldhauer"
> <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote: >On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 05:57:13
> -0400, "Phil Parker"
> ><os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>
> >> Turning the radio off and on gets me connected at 80% signal strength, but my
> >> two eCS machines don't see each other. The new one is the T43 with RC7
> >> (silver) and the old one is a minitower with 1.25+.
> >>
> >> Neither sees the other via "net view" on the command line or via the Servers
> >> list in "Create a connection".
> >>
> >> Now what stupid thing have I done wrong?
>
> >There are two problems. Both are pretty easy to fix.
> >1. I don't think I installed NETBIOS on the WiFi adapter.
>
> Done.
>
> >2. Your domain name needs to be the same as your local network.
>
> Done.
>
> Now "net view" still shows only the T43, but "net view \\name" shows all the
> shared resources on the other machine.
>
> In Sharing and Connecting, trying to make a connection shows only the T43 as a
> server.
>
> What do I need to do to get my other machine to show up on "net view" -- and
> then, presumably, on the server list in Sharing and Connecting?
>
> I've never had two machines before, so thanks for the patience of everyone so
> far.

The client on one or both machines may not be properly broadcasting its' name.
I see that fairly often, especially with OS/2.  Another way to check for
machines on the network is to do a broadcast ping:

ping 192.168.xxx.255 (or 192.168.xxx.0 - can't recall which is more universal).

That should get you a list of IP addresses of all listeners on the xxx subnet
where xxx is the corresponding values from the IP of the machine you are using.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>