From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] connected to home WiFi but not communicating
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 16:47:46 -0400

Hi, Will...

On 04/04/10 03:40 pm, Will Honea thus wrote :
** Reply to message from "Phil Parker" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:13:09 -0400

On 04/04/2010 at 07:11 AM, "Neil Waldhauer"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote: >On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 05:57:13
-0400, "Phil Parker"

<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

Turning the radio off and on gets me connected at 80% signal strength, but my
two eCS machines don't see each other. The new one is the T43 with RC7
(silver) and the old one is a minitower with 1.25+.

Neither sees the other via "net view" on the command line or via the Servers
list in "Create a connection".

Now what stupid thing have I done wrong?

There are two problems. Both are pretty easy to fix.
1. I don't think I installed NETBIOS on the WiFi adapter.

Done.

2. Your domain name needs to be the same as your local network.

Done.

Now "net view" still shows only the T43, but "net view \\name" shows all the
shared resources on the other machine.

In Sharing and Connecting, trying to make a connection shows only the T43 as a
server.

What do I need to do to get my other machine to show up on "net view" -- and
then, presumably, on the server list in Sharing and Connecting?

I've never had two machines before, so thanks for the patience of everyone so
far.

The client on one or both machines may not be properly broadcasting its' name. I see that fairly often, especially with OS/2.  Another way to check for
machines on the network is to do a broadcast ping:

ping 192.168.xxx.255 (or 192.168.xxx.0 - can't recall which is more universal).
On a class C network, .255 is the broadcast address.
That should get you a list of IP addresses of all listeners on the xxx subnet
where xxx is the corresponding values from the IP of the machine you are using.

Of course, if NetBIOS over TCP/IP isn't set up, this won't make much difference in Phil's case. If it is, the router needs to be configured to forward b-node broadcasts for name resolution (many default to "off" for this). As I've said before (in several places), I'm surely no expert with NetBIOS networking, as I rarely use it.

A couple links which may help, Phil:

http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/warp.html
http://www.os2notes.com/archives/os2ezine/v2n8/letters.htm