From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] connected to home WiFi but not communicating
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:30:03 -0400

Hi again...

On 04/04/10 07:29 pm, Phil Parker thus wrote :
On 04/04/2010 at 01:40 PM, "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
wrote:

The client on one or both machines may not be properly broadcasting its'
name.  I see that fairly often, especially with OS/2.

OK. For NetBEUI, *not* TCPBEUI, how does one fix that?

Have a look at http://www.os2bbs.com/file_c/tips/OS2_2.TXT for some tips as to what might need to be tweaked. In the case of native NetBIOS (or NetBEUI), you should only need to make sure that the appropriate entries are in \MPTN\BIN\MPTCONFG.INI and \MPTN\BIN\NBSETUP.CMD (I think). As NetBIOS broadcasts *only*, assuming this traffic travels across your router (and it seems to, or you would ahve no connectivity at all), this should be fairly easy to fix.

Another way to check
for machines on the network is to do a broadcast ping:

ping 192.168.xxx.255 That should get you a list of IP addresses of all listeners on the xxx subnet
where xxx is the corresponding values from the IP of the machine you are
using.

If Lewis is correct, this won't matter since I'm not using NetBIOS over
TCP/IP, just plain old NetBIOS.  Nonetheless, both machines ping each other
and each shows up on the other via "net view \\servername" with a full list of
resources (shares).

The ping is over TCP/IP, a completely separate protocol. All this tells you is that both machines are physically (whether via wire or radio) connected to the same access point. I trust that both machines are on the same subnet, as NetBIOS is by definition non-routable; that is, without running NetBIOS on top of TCP, you can't traverse a router from one LAN segment to another - all devices must be on the same segment, or they can't find each other. Normally, a small wireless router (i.e., a broadband router with a wireless access point contained in the same box) bridges the wireless and wired networks, forming a single LAN segment.

Your problem, as I read it, is that without specifying the other machine by name, a net view only shows your local machine, but when adding the server name, i.e., \\servername, you are indeed able to see the list of shares on the remote side.
If I put a bunch of "net use" statements in a startup.cmd, will I still get
full WPS functionality for the resulting connections/shares?

Even if the machines do not give you a full net view, as long as the names don't change, you should be fine to simply add a bunch of net use statements.

Best I can do off the top of my head. HTH! ;-)

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress