Message #679 des archives de la Liste os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

De: "Massimo" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> En-têtes complèts
Message brut
Sujet: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Netlabs
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:13:37 +0100

madodel wrote:
> Rick R. wrote:

I believe that the problem here is another, Mark your opinion regard my person
is wellknow into the Community as you attacked me more than one times in the past
without any real serious reason.

I recall very well your behaviour when Roderick tried to move "Voice meetings"
channel to eCS IRC Network...

These are proven, happened, facts, not fiction.

Anyway, no problems...

Hosting a service or website that offer "services" for eCS-OS/2 on another platform
recall me *"IBM wont eat its own food"*.

I believe any further comment about this point is just useless.

But, i repeat, ***the reason is another***.

The irc network have its own rules since 2002, why someone should brake these rules
and put the network out of control?

I'm really sad to say, but Adrian has never been a "perfect" irc operator and he
never respected some of eCS Irc Network rules as i've also written more than one
time directly to him in the past...
I also received often a lot of complaints from him, most of the times without any
good reason.

They linked to eCS Irc Network for two reasons:

1) Mr. Roderick Klein hardly "sponsored" this move
2) eCS Irc Network (even if a small one) is one of the most efficient irc
network in the world, since it runs a configuration (afaik the only one around...)
that if an international hub crash, the other two takes its place in just less than
a minute, and it also face a really low number of netsplits (allmost none!).

>> I think that's highly appropriate.
>> Not just because running an eCS/OS/2 group on
>> none-OS/2 systems would make the whole thing the
>> laughing stock of the Internet, but also because
>> Windoze servers are known to intentionally mess up
>> none-Windoze systems by introducing just enough
>> none-standard overhead into protocols to make all hell
>> breal loose.
>

> Just to clarify, from what I have read netlabs is not running windows,
> but is running FreeBSD.  The change was mostly because Adrian is already
> admin for several BSD machines and it makes his life easier to have them
> all the same.  See
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.netlabs.org for confirmation.

I'm an IT consultant, at work i use Windows 2003 server, XP and Vista.
XP, i must admit is much stable than OS/2.
It's surely slower, but it crash less.
Sorry, but here we don't fight anymore against windows nt4 or w98 junk...

But my desktop pc at home and also my web-farm (a cluster of two servers)
runs on eComStation.

I'm a serious person and i don't like to fool the Community of users.

I believe it's quite "strange" to use another platform to host OS/2-eCS
related services.
*But this is just my personal opinion.*

As i've seen **hundreds** of time, a user that comes to an OS/2-eCS related
website the first thing he does to proove if we are just fooling people or
not, is to check if the website or the service run under the same platform.
If not, do you know what happens?...

They start a big laugh and close the web page.

These are facts.

Nothing to do with the eCS IRC Network policies wellknown to its operators
since 2002....

I strongly believe you don't know how an irc network works and surely you
don't know that it's complex stuff, not just as to comment a line in the
config.sys...

Running different configurations and irc daemons packages, this is from
the technical point of view, bring the network out of any control.

As you can surely understand this is not a good solution...

> I also think it is silly to require someone to use a specific platform
> especially when they are deriving no livelyhood from their service, but
> that is just my opinion.  I prefer OS/2-eComStation myself, and that is
> my primary, almost exclusive systems here for the past 14 years, but I
> also have Macs now for video processing, and even installed Linux on a
> couple machines to look at it.   That said, the two organizations I have
> been associated with, VOICE and Warpstock both continue to be hosted on
> OS/2 machines.  But that has not always been the case depending on the
> site they were hosting things on.
>
> I'm sure if someone offered netlabs substantial ongoing, committed
> support to host it on an OS/2 machine Adrian might reconsider.  But the
> fact is he is providing a free service to the OS/2-eCS user community
> and he has to take into account what is a most efficient way to do it.
>
> Mark (I have no connection to netlabs other than a user of the many free
> products they serve, I'm just setting the record straight.)

Rules have to be respected.
These rules (or policies if you prefere), i repeat again, are around since 2002.

Best regards.

Massimo S.
- eCS Irc Network
- irc.ecomstation.it  6667