From: "Leon D. Zetekoff" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Tracerte, Delays and Unreachable Site
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:53:30 -0400

On 04/14/2010 08:57 PM, Sam Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Hakan
> <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>
>> Base Case
>> I am unable to use tracerte to trace the route to salesforce.com from
>> my T43p laptop running evS 1.2R connected to Verizon's network via a
>> Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router (WNR2000v2) and then a Westell DSL modem.
>> Tracerte does not supply me with any information after the 2nd hop
>> which is the Westell modem, after that it simply displays '*' at each
>> hop. Pinging salesforce.com from the same computer shows a time of 240
>> ms. Browsing this particular site in Firefox 3.5.9 or 3.6.3 is slow and
>> inconsistent, meaning that the pages do not always load and many
>> attempts have to be made to successfully load a page. I can reach other
>> websites fine. Nslookup fails with the following message:
>>
>> *** Can't find server name for address 10.20.30.1: Non-existent
>> host/domain
>> *** Default servers are not available
>>
>> A machine running Windows connected to the same Netgear router and
>> Westell DSL modem traces the route in 11 hops. Pinging salesforce.com
>> shows here a consistent time of 85 ms. No problems browsing. Nslookup
>> results in the same error message as above but also displays the IP
>> address of salesforce.com.
>>
>> All of the above is also true, on both machines, when trying to reach
>> the IP address, 204.14.234.33, directly.
>>
>> Case 2
>> I connected the T43p running eCS directly to the Netgear router using a
>> cable and rebooted. I am still not able to trace the route to
>> salesforce.com, nor is nslookup any more helpful than above, either
>> when looking up the domain or using the above IP address. However, and
>> importantly, the ping time is now down to 80 ms on this system as well.
>>
>> The conclusion is that using this particular wireless adapter under eCS
>> (and on this particular computer) results in a signficant degradation
>> in latency.
>>
>> Scenario 3
>> I now connected the T43p directly to the Westell DSL modem. The ping
>> time stays at 80 ms, nslookup now works correctly (for both the domain
>> and the IP address with no error messages) but tracerte still does not
>> show any valid information beyond the Westell DSL modem.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest the reason for any or all of the above? A setting in
>> the Netgear router which is not entirely compatible with eCS? An effect
>> of using the Genmac driver where the communication is so slow that
>> something times out at a low level? Something not compatible in the DSL
>> modem or elsewhere on the Verizon network? Something else?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>

> I'm willing to bet the two systems are using different DNS Severs.  Go
> to grc.com and get DNS Benchmark and run it from a Windoze box or
> maybe in Odin and find the best performing DNS server for your
> location and configure your systems for at least two good performing
> DNS servers that are reliable.
> [...]
Didnt I say something like this? I work with routers and firewalls every
day. He needs to see what ip info he's being configured with. Please run
the tests I mentioned last night.

also, note that some routers will not respond to pings/traces and this
is normal. But in your case you're being sent someplace wrong. Again
that seems to indicate default route. also check your routing table and
see what's in there.

What I would do is connect eCS directky to the DSL device and if it
works there then the problem is in your netgear.

Leon