From: "Sam Lewis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Tracerte, Delays and Unreachable Site
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:50:56 -0500

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Hakan
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
> Please see below.
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:09:47 -0500, Sam Lewis wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Hakan
>><os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>>> Both - they might be related. Note that the performance degradation
>>> with the Genmac driver compared to the regular network driver is less
>>> of a concern since I am assuming (rightly or wrongly at this time) that
>>> that is caused by the layering of the Win driver.
>>
>>Originally I had thought that they must be separate issues and I would
>>be concerned about the performance more that the functionality of
>>tracerte.  But now I'm not so sure.
>>
>>But at any rate I don't think it is related to genmac.  I get the same
>>results going to your web site using genmac on my wireless and the
>>native realtek driver on my wired.  My tracerte times out after my
>>router and displays * and my ping times are 80ms and go up to 200 to
>>600ms when I browse the site, but I don't get a sense that the site is
>>sluggish.
>
> No, I never thought it was related to Genmac. However, there was a
> severe performance degradation on ping times when using the Genmac
> interface rather than the built-in NIC.
>
>>I'm still leaning toward the router being bogged down.  But I am just
>>speculating.
>
> I disagree, I fail to see any support for that notion. Further, I
> should have added that there are only five clients on the
> network/router.

I'm suggesting the router CPU being bogged in relation to only your
network performance issues.  I agree that would have no bearing on the
peculiar behavior of tracerte, unless it was discarding the ICMP
packets.

Also I cling to that because of an experience I had with one of my
linksys routers having poor performance in one location but then work
perfectly fine doing the same thing in a completely different
household, not so much because of your problem with the poor
performance.

> I can now add that running Win2000 under Virtual PC 5.1 on the very
> same TP, I have no problem getting a traceroute to salesforce.com.

the high latency is not an issue as well?

> Thus, I am leaning towards something odd in the OS/2 version of
> traceroute.

It would be interesting to get a Wireshark capture of the traffic to
see what the difference is between the Windoze and OS/2 trace route
versions.
Sam