Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] The OT "electrical protection" thread
Datum: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:17:59 -0600
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "J R FOX" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Tue,
20 Apr 2010 12:26:19 -0700 (PDT)

> . . . that ran on this list, a while back.  It was mostly over
> my head, but still an eye-opener, and (dare I say it) shocking.
>
> I've had a good UPS ahead of my computers for a long, long time.
> For other critical gear -- tv and associated video stuff, for
> example -- I've used the Monster power centers, even though they
> are often said to be very overpriced.  This is way more elaborate
> than any power strip.  1500 joules clamping, and all that jazz.
> My reading of that thread suggested this may all be in vain,
> absent other even-far-more-elaborate precautionary measures ?
> But I think it is likely to be the best I can arrange, as a
> practical matter.  And it does seem to have done the job for
> many years.

As pointed out in discussion, lightning protection is a serious art - but
anything you do will help some.  I look at it as a lot of effort for a rare
event - but boy! can that rare event be a dilly.  As for the power rating, you
should do a bit of research on the power generated by lightning.  By
comparison, your 1500 joules is a mouse-fart in a hurricane but as you point
out the trade off is cost of replacement vs. cost of protection amortized by
the frequency of the event.

Good to see you back.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>