os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6844

Da: "Jan van Wijk" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: miniPCI wireless card compatibility, older and newer Thinkpads
Data: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:38:53 +0200 (CES)

Hi all,

As some of you may heve noticed on several lists, I got myself
a new Thinkpad W500 a while ago, to use with Windows mainly
but in the hope to use it as well as possible with eCS too.
(since my T42 was slowly dying on me :-)

I have eCS 2.0 GA running on that machine now,
with a usable display in 1680x1050 (panorama).

The wired NIC is being worked on (new gigabit driver) but does not work yet.

The wireles (an Intel 5300 AGN) does not work of course,
and support by Genmac in the near future is quite unlikely.

That leaves open one more posibility to get wireless: swap the card for one
that IS supported in eCS (and downgrade the windows driver too :-)

I have an Intell 2200 as well as an Atheros card available (both from T42's)
so I was investigating the effort to put one of these in the W500.

The downloaded HW-manuals (T42, W500) seem to indicate that these
cards are NOT compatible, not even in physical dimensions/shape!

The ones for the T42 have the miniPCI along its long edge, while the
5300 card from the W500 seems to be smaller alltogether, and has
the miniPCI connector on the short side of the board.
Seems to be a different 'miniPCI' to me :-(

See the attached JPG's, taken from the HW-manuals.

Anyone know for sure, before I start disassembling my W500 ?

TIA, JvW

DFSee Home: http://www.dfsee.com; Jan van Wijk;  Author of DFSee - info@dfsee.com

Immagine
miniPCI-intel-2200.jpg