From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] miniPCI wireless card compatibility, older and newer Thinkpads
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:31:21 -0400

Because we don't think in Answers & Questions, but rather, Questions & Answers. See substantive thoughts, below. :-)

>>> Why?

Because it defies logic.

>>> Why?

Top-posting in mailing lists gets difficult for people to follow...

>>> What's wrong with top-posting in mailing lists and newsgroups?

On 08/01/10 02:12 pm, Stan Sidlov thus wrote :
I'm running only "N" services at the house now, bonded (fixed) on the 2.4Ghz to annoy the neighbors -  for two laptops, and 5Ghz service bonded (auto) for my daughter's x200T. I wish I could find 5Ghz PCMCIA cards so I could drop the 2.4 service altogether.

Her's does "A" service too, I can't remember why I didn't enable "A" along with/instead of "N", throughput?
A doesn't penetrate solid matter very well. When we were talking about 5GHz, I wasn't even thinking about N. In that case, I'd need to defer to Christian, as I really do not know (he has said that the WPA supplicant is an older port; not sure if N support is/was included or necessary at that level. FWIW, the native XP supplicant, IIRC, did not have AES support for WPA2 (don't ask), though they seem to have fixed that, post-SP2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021).

An interesting (though probably unrelated) thread on N & WPA2 & the wpasupplicant I found during a Google search: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/344022 . Most of us configure APs for WPA & WPA2, to allow the broadest range of clients to connect. This bug appears to indicate that by narrowing the AP to WPA2 *only* the connections seemed to work (though admittedly, I only gave it a quick read).

Cheers/2.0
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com <mailto:os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>> wrote:

    Hey, Stan!

    On 08/01/10 11:32 am, Stan Sidlov thus wrote :

        Is there any 5Ghz wpa2 -aes support?

    The Intel Windows driver *supposedly* supports all WPA & WPA2
    variants on both radios. XWLAN and the WPA supplicant *should*
    support WPA2 with AES on the 5GHz radio, but I have not tested
    this (I don't have access to an 802.11a AP which does WPA,
    interestingly enough).

    Excellent question, though, and I'd be interested to hear from
    anyone else with WPA experience on 5GHz.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress