From: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Another rosenthals.com group
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:55:15 -0600

** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 23:30:50 -0400

> Your perspective is welcome, as always. In this case, Thomas' problem
> was entirely related to Windows XP networking, and not even something
> cross-platform (if you've ever had a run-in with the "Simple Networking"
> "feature" of XP, coupled with its delightful built-in "firewall," you'll
> have a good idea as to what we had to fix to get his machines talking to
> each other...).
>
> Still, I appreciate your point, and it is well taken. Many times, I run
> into things which are not specific to OS/2, but which could, under
> different circumstances, lead to the same types of difficulties.

We all run up against weirdness with OS/2 since we have to be able to converse
with foreign systems - we failed to convince the rest of the world that OS/2
was "the answer".  You might be surprised (tho I doubt it) at the number of
times discussions here have resolved problems I ran into trying to network
Apple and Linux machines with Winxx boxes.  Much as I detest regulation for the
sake of regulation, I sometimes wish we had managed early on to establish a
true set of standards that would have been binding on all suppliers!  Oh, how
many times I have longed to shove a MS system or program back in their face for
not meeting the definition of marketability due to lack of standards compliance!

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>