From: "Carl Gehr" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] T60 wireless intermittent - Intel 3945 a/b/g
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:09:59 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:20:11 +1030, Paul Smedley wrote:

>Hi Carl,
>
>On 13/12/10 02:14, Carl Gehr wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:55:19 -0700, Chuck McKinnis wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe bite the bullet and get another card.
>>>

>>> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-wireless-3945ABG-Network-Connection/dp/B000EDQOK8
>>>
>>> $19.95 and under
>>
>> No need to buy one.
>>
>> I can get ANOTHER one for free by just calling for service.
>> But, the card has already been replaced.  No change in the
>> behavior.
>
>For my T60, wireless used to drop out after a period of time - that was
>with an Atheros WLAN card.  Since switching to an Intel 3945 - wireless
>is rock solid...

Hi, Paul,

Mine, as reported by PCI:
>Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
>Device 4227h PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection

It worked fine for the first couple of years.  [Purchased new in
Nov-2006, installed w/eCS 1.2.  Installed eCS 2.0 RC2 circa 2Q-2007.]

I cannot tie down the exact time when the WiFi started acting up, but I
know that I also cannot tie it to any changes made to eCS.  Because of
a lot of issues totally unrelated to eCS itself, I pretty much stopped
making any changes to eCS because it was running well and quite stable.
 The last eCSMT log I see was roughly Sep-2007.

While I'm sure the problem had been going on for some period before I
first reported it, the earliest report I see was in Feb-2009.  I had a
KB problem mid-2009 and also mentioned the WiFi issue at the same time.
 The CE replaced the WiFi card then, but it made no difference.

And, actually, eCS has been anything but stable since late 2009, early
2010.  But aside from occasional WiFi drops that I cannot restart, most
problems are lockups that I cannot tie to any specific incident.
Often, the system has been just sitting idle and locks up.  Because
it's frozen, it's also impossible to obtain diagnostic info.

I did make some UniAud changes [from you] in the Apr-2008 thru Aug-2009
time frame.  With the exception of an update back in Jul-2010, I had
audio so it was, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  That recent change
actually seemed to have no impact, good or bad with the audio; and
certainly made no change with the WiFi.

Sorry for the long, long explanation, but I'm trying to provide some
context.

Carl