From: "Christian Langanke" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re:
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:29:48 +0100

Rick R. wrote:
Wow, you *really* know how to "motivate" people.
Specially folks who pay thousands of dollars to
companies developing OS/2 software in a regular basis.
If I recall it correctly, you criticized Adrian for not using eCS on the netlabs.org.web server. So the topic is netlabs.org, its way of community building, its way of making software projects happening, bringing OS/2 and eCS forward for years.

Firstof all,  you criticize Adrian, and with him somebody you obviously don't know, otherwise you likely wouldn't do that - you don't know how much money he has invested over ten years, and that as a student for long time, as well as countless hours of spare time. I assume you are not a student anymore, and compared to your income and amount of spare time invested into OS/2 and eCS in the last ten years, I bet you would have to spend much more money than "thousand dollars on a regular base" for only reaching his level. So in that concern lots of people (of course including me as well) don't have much reason to talk about something like that in order to feel like being better or worth more than somebody else.

Second, you seem not to have any idea how important netlabs.org is for the developers to motivate them for contribution, for end users getting more solutions for their platform, for eCS to get new features. Definitely, without the netlabs.org developers community you would have much less eCS to show today, no matter how much money you would spend on software for it to keep it somehow alive. Compared alone to that, this os discussion is completely stupid.

Last, but not least, I don't see a serious strategy other than the Voyager project of netlabs.org that could provide a vision for an eCS or an alike platform that would last longer than two or three years. Remember, OS/2 is dead, eCS is still alive ( and BTW netlabs.org and its projects play a major part in the game keeping it alive), but what will be next ?
Beware though: if you start thinking ahead and open your mind for "what can we use in five years" rather than "we must at all costs use now what is there, and nothing else", you may find out that spending thousands of dollars to netlabs.org _now_ would give you a higher probability of having an eCS like platform in let's say five to ten years, compared to your current strategy ;-)

And people who don't walk the talk are hardly the ones
qualified to lecture the rest of us about >seriously
contributing< or about >being narrow minded<.

Well,  first of all you brought the sample with Bill Gates, and did not realize at all that this showed your narrow mind already. While people like you are laughing about this linux box issue, this guy is counting his money, and for good reasons does give a **** on others laughing at him - he has the last laugh anyway. OTOH you keep telling people what tools they have to use in order to reach their goals - that is narrow-minded.

Moreover, you "walk the walk" and the others don't ? And so you can behave as if their efforts would be of less value than yours or may not criticize you ? ROFL - Poor man, I get the impression that you think you are one of the rare good guys, and all the others are the bad ones - seems to be high noon here. _Such thinking_ is what is ridiculous, and not that somebody wants to promote eCS a different way like you would do. Much more important is that some people like the one from netlabs.org think further into the future and you don't. And facing the future is most often much tougher and much more challenging than just sticking to the things that one has, waiting until there is no more way out. So much on walking the walk...

bye, Christian

Christian Langanke
COS2E & CWSE
Team OS/2 Ruhr e.V.