From: "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: PCI-S & SATA (Was:Re: Intel 3945 support in GenMAC)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:10:02 +1100

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On 02/14/07 03:11 pm, Ed Durrant thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

I think that it's more the fact that it is a PCI Express machine with SATA drive architecture than anything else (though I understand that there are sound issues with it, as well). More and more of the newer generation of machines will be SATA and will have PCI Express instead of mini-PCI, and this, of course, is someting we need to watch in the market and be prepared to support.

Thanks for clarifying the issue with the T30, Ed. ;-)

Before I get too far off topic - let me simply add that I am running eCS and OS/2 on this machine which is a SATA / PCI-express system, albeit towerPC not a laptop, so at least with the chipset used on this ASUS M2V-TVM motherboard, we already appear to have the necessary support. So the T60 "may" work, apart from the usual WinModem problems.

The SATA in the T60 needs to be configured (in the BIOS) for legacy (compatibility) mode or Dani won't be able to access the drive (at least, the last build I tried). SATA is an odd thing, kind of reminscent of the early days of IDE when different manufacturers had slightly different implementations which didn't always play well together (the rule of thumb once was to not mix manufacturers on drives on the same IDE channel).

Yes, the basic support for SATA and PCI Express is there, but we are still on the usual catchup trail to the newer stuff (of course, so are the Linux guys - and gals). I think sinfosar as th PCI Express stuff is concerned that our biggest problem is not with the PCI-X architecture per se, but simply the same old "new hardware" issues.

Small point - PCI-X is NOT PCI-Express.  PCI_Express slots are sometimes shortened to PCI-E.

PCI-X is an adaption of PCI that has been with us in servers for some years, is normally 64 bit slots and often supports Hot-Swap of cards - in other words a faulty card can be "turned off from the operating system" the card removed and a new one installed and then turned back on again - all without having to close down operation of the system.

Cheers/2

Ed.