From: "madodel" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Cardbus 802.11g card with WPA for eCS or Linux?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 07:49:16 -0500

Robert Henschel wrote:
madodel wrote:
Anyone know of a good Cardbus wireless 802.11g card that will work with
either eCS or Linux?  My wife wants to use my old P4 laptop in her
office and I want it reasonably secure so I need to use WPA and I don't
want no stinking windoze.  Does this exist for eCS?
WPA will only work for GenMAC supported devices, I am reasonably sure
about that.
> And since this is a software solution, I would assume that
it will work for any GenMAC supported device.
I know that there are Cardbus cards that work with GenMAC, but I also
know that it can be hard to get them to work. (and btw, only Cardbus
cards will work with GenMAC, no PCMCIA!)

I was aware of that, and I have used the Cisco 340/350 and the IBM High Rate PCMCIA cards with Jen's driver but they don't do WPA, so I am looking for a working cardbus 802.11g card.

But since I have never done that before, I cannot comment any further.
My best guess is searching the GenMAC list for supported Cardbus "g"
cards and trying one of those.

I looked there and mostly what I found was people asking if a certain Cardbus card worked but no definitive answer, but I may very well have missed something.  On eComStation.ru there were a very few listed that I could identify as Cardbus.  A Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG511T and a D-Link -- DWL-G650.  Thorolf also mentions a D-Link -- DWL-AG660 but said he only got it working after a patch he received from Willibald at WSE06 so it may work with a future release of GenMac.  Unfortunately I need a working solution soon.  I assume the Netgear 108 will work OK with a Netgear 54Mbps router.  These still seem to be readily available and he doesn't say he used a special build of GenMac so that may be my solution. I wonder if the regular Netgear WG511 will work with GenMac, since all I need is 54Mbps and WPA?  Is WPA difficult to setup using GenMac?  According to their web site Xandros supports all of these cards as well so that could be a fall back for me.

Mark

--

 From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

 Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

  "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938