From: "Al Heath" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Satellite Internet Access
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:06:11 -0500

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:41:39 -0500, Sam Lewis wrote:

>>This subject comes up from time to time.
>>
>>I am using Starband right now.
... I don't want to spend
>>the money on new Satellite setup just to end up in a worse position if I
>>can help it.
>>
>>If anyone has information or opinions I would like to hear them.
>>Sam

>I see commercials on local TV all the time for HughesNet
>[http://www.hughesnet.com].  I have no idea if it is good, bad or
>indifferent.

>Carl

When visiting my sister's house, I use her Hughes Net satellite connection as other than dialup, that is her only choice for connectivity. One thing to consider is the latency on satellite connections. From what I recall, pings to yahoo.com were in the 2000 msec range versus the 10 to 15 msec range I get here at home with my cable connection. But, once the satellite filled the pipe with a block of data, it came down about like a low end DSL connection. What really impacted me was telnet sessions to remote hosts ... due to the latency between keystrokes. As you typed ahead, the echos would burst back in bunches as packet contents were accumulated. But web surfing and email was fairly acceptable.

Al H