Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: Router for Third-Party Software
Datum: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:37:45 -0400
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

The difference between the non-L router and the L is that the L (as Christian has so rightly pointed out) relates to Linux. The non-L models have less RAM in them due to running a smaller, closed source OS. It is possible to push a special micro build of DD-WRT onto these machines, but it is difficult, and easy to brick the unit (kill it).

What version is the 54G you have? the firmwrae version doesn't help me much, here. Look at the label on the  bottom of the unit. Chances are that it can be flashed with DD-WRT.

On 03/24/07 04:26 pm, Hakan thus wrote :
Lewis, thank you very much but I need to buy a unit for use in Europe,
220V and all that.  I visited the Linksys website but could not tell
the difference between the WRT54G and WRT54GL -- what might they be?

Also, I have an older WRT54G with firmware version 2.2 -- what can I do
with that older router?  It has never been used as of yet.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:52:36 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

On 03/24/07 01:28 pm, Hakan thus wrote :

Which is the currenly recommended router if you are interested in
installing third-party software on it?  Is it still one of the Linksys
routers and, if so, which model(s)?  Also, is there possibly a specific
version I should avoid, or conversely, look for?

WRT54GL v5 or WRT54G v4. Both of these work well with DD-WRT firmware, Hakan. In fact, I have one new unit in stock (GL v5), already flashed and tested with DD-WRT v2.3 SP2 Micro Generic. I had a few of these on eBay a couple months ago for $50 each plus shipping. If you wnat it, let me know and we'll work something out (like dinner, the next time I'm in town). ;-)

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com