os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #972

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: PCMCIA help
Data: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:15:14 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 08/03/06 05:32 pm, John Poltorak thus wrote :
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:01:18AM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:

John Poltorak wrote:

I'd like to try and get a PCMCIA card working on a DELL Inspiron 6000
laptop. Has anyone tried this?

AIUI it has a RICOH RL5c476 Cardbus controller according to a PCI scanner
I ran. Which Socket services driver will support that?

This is a Cardbus card  You do not need Socket services. An NDIS driver should do, exactly as if the card were a PCI card.

I use a Xircom Realport Cardbus card in my Thinkpad 600E and the required line is 'device=c:\ibmcom\macs\cbendis.os2'

(Together with the usual other ibmcom stuff, of course).

I don't understand what you mean. I have a controller on the mother board - the RICOH I mentioned. It isn't a card.

Geoff was merely referring to a card he uses in his slot, which is then controlled by the RICOH CardBUS controller chip.
The card I want to use is an IBM PCMCIA Token Ring card.
That would work.
Are you saying I don't need a socket server driver to be able to use it?
No, you do indeed need socket services to access a PCMCIA (vs CardBUS) card. In the absence of that, if you could find a point enabler for the IBM TR card, you could use that, but I don't know if such a driver exists. In short, socket services will allow you to recognize an inserted card, and then pass that information along to the driver to tell it that the card is present. A point enabler will look for that particular card and drive it. You cannot hot plug a point-enabled card (IIRC), nor can you hot unplug it. Essentially, the slot is locked down to that card.

In Geoff's case, he has a CardBUS card. CardBUS does not require SS as it is recognized as a PCI bus.

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com