os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #974

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless]Re: PCMCIA help
Data: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:22:32 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 08/03/06 05:39 pm, John Poltorak thus wrote :
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:06:18AM -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

On 08/03/06 06:15 am, John Poltorak thus wrote :

I'd like to try and get a PCMCIA card working on a DELL Inspiron 6000
laptop. Has anyone tried this?

AIUI it has a RICOH RL5c476 Cardbus controller according to a PCI scanner
I ran. Which Socket services driver will support that?

John, see http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=pcmciaentry for a good list of known chipsets and what services driver sets support which ones. I believe yours should be supported by the base OS driver. It is not a CardBUS chipset, either, so this only supports 16-bit  slots (and cards).

It mentions a forum at the website above but I can't access it. Any idea if it is active?

At one time, Jonas approached me to merge the OS/2 Wireless list with the forums over at os2warp.be. I would have probably done that, assuming he offered mailing list support (as so many of our subscribers prefer the mailing list format to forums), but the project hasn't gotten off the ground (of course, that might change, though I am not really of a mind to migrate these lists at this point, having a well-established presence already and also having forums available at http://www.warptech.info (which are well under-used - even by me!).
I did see the RICOH RL5c476 mentioned in the chart and it has a green tick in col 0 which suggests it should be supported but I can't tell which Socket services driver to use. My system traps when I use IBM2SS14.sys

A newer one is mentioned IBM PC Card Director / ibm2ss14.sys v3.0 Is this available anywhere?

Or should I be looking at something else?

I believe that one comes in the CardBUS-aware package which is available from eComStation.com, assuming you have an upgrade subscription:

The PC Card 8.0 Card and Socket Device Drivers provide OS/2 support for PC Card 8.0 (Cardbus) PCMCIA Card and Socket on IBM ThinkPad Models.

This package provides PC Card Director software for IBM Thinkpads using OS/2 Warp 4, OS/2 Warp Server for e-business, OS/2 Warp 4 Convenience Pack 1, OS/2 Warp 4 Convenience Pack 2, OS/2 Warp Server for e-business Convenience Pack 1, and OS/2 Warp Server for e-business Convenience Pack 2.

This package has been tested on IBM Thinkpads with the following PC Card controllers:

   * Texas Instruments TI1130
   * Texas Instruments TI1131
   * Texas Instruments TI1225
   * Texas Instruments TI1250A
   * Texas Instruments TI1251
   * Texas Instruments TI1251B
   * Texas Instruments TI1420
   * Texas Instruments TI1450
   * Texas Instruments TI1520
   * Texas Instruments TI4520
   * Cirrus Logic CL-PD6729
   * Ricoh R5C821

Updated by IBM on 11 Nov 2004, file size: 4,109,630 bytes

That's probably the package you need. FWIW, my IBM2SS14.sys build level (eCS 1.2R) shows:

[C:\os2]bldlevel IBM2SS14.sys
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature: @#IBM:10.115#@ OS/2 Socket Services Device Driver
Vendor: IBM
Revision: 10.115