From: "Doug Bissett" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [Virtualized eCS] Virtual box 6.0.14 r 133895, acpi shutdown with AOS 5.0.3 and virtual cpu - 2 cpu success
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:03:08 -0700 (MST)

On 2020-01-15, at 11:26:33, Massimo S. wrote:

>Il 15/01/2020 06:33, Doug Bissett ha scritto:
>>On 2020-01-14, at 17:32:52, Massimo S. wrote:
>>>
>>...snip...
>>i reinstalled the guest VM AOS 5.0.3 with ACPI modern
>>hardware
>>>
>>>it seems rock solid stable
>>I tried a new install of ArcaOS 5.0.4 (I have 5.0.3, but it isn't
>>handy). I can't even get it to boot if I enable a second processor.
It
>>either hangs, can't find a file, or I get a kernel trap. One
processor
>>works properly. This is the same things that I see, if I enable
>>HYPERTHREADING in a real machine.
>
>all well here, i'm surprised, but it's really stable (and fast too!!)
>now i'm running virtual box 6.0.16 r135674 as hypervisor
>maybe they fixed something

I just updated to VirtualBox-6.1.2-135663-Win.exe. I don't see any
operational changes. I doubt if they fixed anything, related to OS/2.

>but again, i believe my VMs works well since i've a lot of stuff
>commented in config.sys e.g. no usb, no winos2, no audio, no
hpfs, no
>fat32,
>no iso fs, no ibmfloppy, no printers, etc.. etc.. etc...

Sounds like a lot of work, for little gain, but if it does what you want
it to do, don't mess with it.

>>and
>>>
>>>the button on the application bar at the bottom of the screen
>>>the VM repains open, even if the guest OS has shutdown
>>I am still not clear what is happening. I did a new install, because
>>always remove the XCenter shut down button (I have better
things
>>to put in XCenter, and there is limited room in the bar). The
>>XCenter shutdown button takes me to the same place that
RMB->
>>Shut down takes me. It turns off, with no problem. The VirtualBox
>>Manager window is still open (just close it), but the VM is shut
>>down.
>

>when the configuration of all the application servers will be done
>i will disable the WPS (as i do on my other 2 servers)
>i will only start presentation manager at boot
>
>SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE

Should work okay, I think.

>>>no
>>>
>>>my C: is JFS primary startable 3999 MegaBytes
>>>the VM don't boot from disk
>>>i'm forced to install Airboot (the one that install automatically
>>AOS)
>>>
>>>i'd like that AOS could boot directly :(
>>I can't even imagine what is causing that. I have never had that
>>problem, and I have installed ArcaOS (various versions), many
>>times. If I use a boot drive letter other than C:, or if I make it an
>>extended partition, or if I make more than one boot partition, I do
>>need Air Boot (or Boot Manager), as expected (same as on a
real
>>machine).
>>It appears that you are doing something wrong, but I don't know
>>what it might be.
>

>please share with me your config.sys (privately)
>i'll do the same

I would attach it, but I don't think attachments are allowed in this
mail list. There is nothing private about it. It is pretty much as it was
installed, except I used my LCSS (Logical Config.Sys Sort,
available from HOBBES) utility on it. There are a few tweaks, but
none of them would affect shutdown. Sorting *may* affect
something (but I doubt it).

>in the meantime my aos503 VM with 2 cores is very very very
stable ;)

As I said, if it does what you want it to do, use it the way it is.

>massimo

CONFIG.SYS not sent. I don't have your address...
--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system
dougb007 at telus.net