Mensaje archivado #13 de la Lista virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com

De: "Cliff Scott" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Encabezados Completos
Mensaje no decodificado
Asunto: Re: [eCS-Technical] VBOX question
Fecha: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:57:53 -0500
Para: "Virtualized eCS Users Mailing List" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com> on
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:45:04 -0400

> Hi, Cliff...
>
> On 09/12/09 10:51 pm, Cliff Scott thus wrote :
> > ** Reply to message from Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com> on
> > Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:17:06 -0400
> >

> >> Hi, Cliff...

> >> The latest Vbox build we have is 1.6.1, AFAIK. Paul had some problems
> >> with subsequent sources, though I don't recall the specifics (perhaps
> >> GTK related). Meanwhile, 1.6.1 runs fairly well, aside from some
> >> oddities with shared folders and deep directory structures (at least on
> >> my system).

> >> Printing works under XP, but I'm printing to network printers and not
> >> locally. Thus, I would expect printing to work just as it would on bare
> >> metal.

> >> If someone steps up to the plate and writes the drivers, then
> >> practically *anything* is possible. :-)
> >>

> > Hi Lewis,
> >
> > Thanks for the update on versions. I'll give that one a try, thought it
> > probably won't work with local printers either. Are there any updates to the
> > Guest Additions? The one I have is ver. 1.5.4.
> >

> I have 2.0.6 (from http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/2.0.6/), but looking at
> the system tray in my XP guest, the version there is reported as 1.6.6,
> and indeed, Add/Remove Programs agrees.
>
> That said, I just bumped it up to 3.0.6 from
> http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/3.0.6/ , without the experimental 3D video
> support (I'll try that *after* I take a snapshot), and see no ill
> effects (though my shared - host - data volume stops the directory
> listing at mozilla.org; nothing further down the top level directory
> list, which is as it was before). Mouse and keyboard seem to be just fine.
> > I just had a thought regarding printing - You say that network printing works
> > for you. Are you printing via TCPIP?
> Yes, through Novell NetWare, but the printers are all talking IP.
> > My wife's windows machine on our local
> > network has the printer shared. I wonder if there is a way to connect to that
> > share. Do you think that should work? It says it can't see the peer network.
> > Guess I'll have to play with it and see what happens.
> >

> Yes, that's easy. You should be able to browse for a network printer
> from the Add Printer Wizard (I *hate* those dumb "wizard" things which
> M$ pushes). If that doesn't work, try entering the explicit share name,
> e.g., \\COMPUTER\PRINTER . You should be able to get to it. Make sure
> that the blasted Windows firewall on the host (the machine hosting the
> printer) is either off or allowing connections to its shares (no, the
> firewall isn't always modified upon enabling a shared resource...don't ask).
> > BTW, I thought of putting this on your Virtualization list, but there hasn't
> > been any traffic there so I figured no one would see it. Guess, if this
> > discussion goes any further we should to that.

Tried and no connection to the printer. The local peer network is on a
different net than the DHCP in VBox gives. Trying to give the VBox a fixed IP
doesn't work either. I'm using the Nat network access since the other driver
messes up networking on the host computer. The Vbox machine says it can't
access the peer network which I understand since Netbeui isn't loaded. Ideas?

> :-)
>
> Feel free to move it.
Done.

--