Gönderim Listesi virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com Ar?vli ?leti #140

Gönderen: "Doug Bissett" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Tam Ba?l?klar
Çözülmemi? ?leti
Konu: Re: [Virtualized eCS] Virtual box 6.0.14 r 133895, acpi shutdown with AOS 5.0.3 and virtual cpu - 2 cpu success
Tarih: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:34:32 -0700 (MST)

On 2020-01-17, at 10:55:52, Massimo S. wrote:

>Il 17/01/2020 03:49, Doug Bissett ha scritto:
>>On 2020-01-16, at 21:54:31, Massimo S. wrote:
>>>
>>...snip the CONFIG.SYS details...
>>Wow, you seem to have deleted most, but not all, entries for
>>DOS/WINOS2, and some other things. I think I understand what
you
>>are trying to do, but it is obvious that you really don't understand
>>what the results are.
>
>why?
>i don't need neither dos, neither windows
>i just need protected mode, it's a web server

There is a reason that I don't know, off hand), that Arca Noae does
not take those things out, when the user doesn't install
DOS.WINOS2 support. Something in the system actually uses
some of it.

>>Your CONFIG.SYS is so messed up, that I am surprised that you
>>can boot, at all. A lot of the REMs really don't make much sense.
>>My best suggestion, is start over, with a normal install, then start
>>deleting things, one at a time,
>allready done it :)
>
><zto be sure that you don't break> something
>
>it's a web server, it runs only apachessl+php+ftp+srync
>i will remove also the workplace

It also runs the support programs to make OS/2 work.

>the application servers are allready working correctly
>i don't need other stuff
>it'a server
>i need that is have to be rock solid stable so less stuff -> more
stable
>:)

Not always.

>(breaking something may not be obvious, until something
>>else goes wrong). Still, if it does what you want it to do, I guess
you
>>should use it that way.
>
>nothing has gone wrong, thanks ;)

Well, it wasn't shutting down.

>>It appears that you have defined two NICs. The ancient
>>PCNTND.OS2 driver is for an old 100 Mbs NIC. I suggest using
the
>>network driver for the Intel 1000 Mbs NIC (the first one in the list
>>works well). BigIcons are also not necessary. If you don't want
>>those things, deselect them in the installer. Randomly REMing
lines
>>in CONFIG.SYS is not the best approach.
>
>thanks for the hint
>i will try to use intel pro 1000 (i already tried but had issues)

In another post.

>>The line:
>>SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 256000 256000
>>is not a good idea. It says to create a SWAP file of 256000 K
bytes,
>>and stop allocating disk space when there is less than 256000 K
>>bytes left on the disk that contains the file. The maximum size is
>>32000 K bytes, so the whole thing probably is rejected, and
defaults
>>are used (I am not sure what the defaults might be).
>
>it create a swap file of 256000 KiloBytes

It probably only uses 32000 K of it, and once there is only 256000
K of disk space left, it will stop. Put that back to the default (2048
2048), and use a monitor to see how much it expands (it probably
won't even be used). Then add 50% more to the initial size. 2048 K
of disk space left is more than sufficient. Also remember that the
swapper file will be included in any backup that you do, so it is a
good idea to keep it small.

>>I don't have the time to analyze exactly what you have done, but
>>the above sort of jumps out as being bad ideas.
>

>massimo

By the way, I run an old P4 system as a server (real hardware). I
have Peter Moylan's FTP server, weasel server, SAMBA server,
RSync, MajorMajor,  WEB/2, and a few more things, that don't
come to mind, at the moment. Only RSync, SAMBA, and Weasel ,
are used on a regular basis. It has 1 GB of main memory. I added a
2 TB (SATA) disk drive, for storage space, and a RealTek 1 Gbs
NIC. Over the last few years I have never seen it use the swapper
file (it may, on occasion, but I have never seen it). I use  a standard
ArcaOS install (5.0.4 now), and it sits there and runs. I usually
update things about once per month, so it gets booted then. If I need
to, I can use that system in place of my main system, but I doubt
that would ever be necessary because I have 3 other, more
modern, systems with just about the same setup.
--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system
dougb007 at telus.net
... Swing low, sweet Cadillac.