От: "Doug Bissett" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Полные заголовки
Декодированное сообщение
Тема: Re: [Virtualized eCS] Virtual box 6.0.14 r 133895, acpi shutdown with AOS 5.0.3 and virtual cpu - 2 cpu success
Дата: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 20:56:10 -0700 (MST)

On 2020-01-27, at 23:44:00, Massimo S. wrote:

>Il 27/01/2020 22:40, Doug Bissett ha scritto:

>>...snip...

>>seeing poor

>>Well, the AMD device is 100 Mbs, while the Intel device is 1000
>>Mbs, so you can't compare them. Since NICs work at a limited
>>speed (very much slower than any modern disk drive, even at
1000
>>Mbs), I don't know why you are seeing those numbers. My guess
is
>>that you do not have a good setup.
>
>we have see allmost all parameters...

It would be easy to miss something.

>>You also need to remember to
>>mark virtual disk drives as being SSD, in the VM, or VBox will
>>insert seek delays. It doesn't matter what the real disk is.
>
>already set SSD on all VMs
>moving a 6GB file from a partition to another (all JFS)
>inside the same guest VM i get >100MegaBytes/sec (also
120MB/sec)
>so it's not a disk datarate issue

>>>i've tried an old eCS2.2b guest on VMware hypervisor ESX 6.5
>>running on
>>>the same hardware
>>>
>>>i get about 20MegaBytes/sec ftp datarates...
>>>same eCS 2.2b on vbox i get 4,5MegaBytes/sec ftp datarates...
>>>
>>>(not talking that with Vbox i can't autostart VMs at boot)
>>There is a way, but I don't remember how. I am sure it is in the
docs
>>somewhere.
>
>there is a way under linux as host
>i'm running WS2019 with i'm much more comfortable
>
>anyway i've found a way to start the 2 VMs at Win logon
>which is sufficient for me at the moment
>
>there is also a software that runs VMs as services
>but it cost 49$
>
>https://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/Install.html
>
>i've already bought the software that do live bkups...
>anyway i will mind if buy it
>
>there is also this software:
>
>https://github.com/onlyfang/VBoxVmService
>
>that's free, but it has issues (it don't work at all, sigh)

I don't know anything about any of them. I use VMs to be able to run
various versions of software, so I can try things, when something
isn't working. At the moment, I don't have a good setup to try
running a FTP server, so I can't try that without doing another
install.

>>>if i find a free sw for live bkups of VMs under ESX
>>>i will go with ESX has hypervisor
>>>
>>>massimo
>>From the little that I know about ESX, it does not virtualize a
>>machine. It shares a real machine with more than one operating
>>system. If it works, use it.
>
>i still have to find how to schedule bkups
>how to add notifications
>
>i've found "GhettoVCB"* that's free runs under ESX free
hypervisor
>and do live bkups (i mean bkups without turning off the VMs)
>but i still have to find a way to schedule it
>e.g. one time per night...

I never bothered under windows, although the Task Scheduler
should run a program, at a scheduled time. Most operating systems
have some sort of Cron program.

>and it uses NFS as protocol that i don't like so much
>anyway i also have a Qnap nap that use NFS
>so i could use it as storage for bkups...
>
>* https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

I don't use windows enough to worry about nightly backups. I use
RSync under OS/2 (using the DragText scheduler). There is
DeltaCopy, that runs RSync under windows. I don't know if it would
do what you want.

>>I still think you have a bad setup in VBox, but I don't have the
time
>>to try to figure it out.
>the CPU is a xeon 8cores but clocked at 2Ghz, i guess that Vbox
is very
>"clock/frequency" oriented, the much higher is the clock, the faster
are
>performances

There are a lot of pieces that fit together, to improve performance.
A fast host definitely helps, but that isn't the only thing.

>this is my tought at the moment
>as far from my tests, MS free Hyper-V is way the faster
hypervisor
>around
>but unfortunately eCS/AOS don't run under it :(
>this one does everything, live bkups, live replica and
>comes with a number of interesting features

AFAIK, Hyper-V only works with windows guests.

>> there was a post, some time ago, in this mail
>> list, about how to make a modern VBox setup for OS/2
(probably
>> eCS at the time)
>
>i'm subscribed since 3th jan 2020 :(
>

>massimo

Web archives are publicly available at: http://lists.2rosenthals.com,
but it seems that a lot of content went missing, when the Arca Noae
servers crashed. I keep them for one year, then delete them. What
you need would be somewhere in the middle of the missing stuff.

I guess I need to do the setup thing all over again, when I find the
time.
--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS system
dougb007 at telus.net