От: "Massimo S." <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Полные заголовки
Декодированное сообщение
Тема: Re: [Virtualized eCS] Virtual box 6.0.14 r 133895, acpi shutdown with AOS 5.0.3 and virtual cpu - 2 cpu success
Дата: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:01:57 +0100
Кому: Virtualized eCS Users Mailing List <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 2020-01-27, at 19:04:21, Massimo S. wrote:

Il 27/01/2020 13:31, Massimo S. ha scritto:
Il 27/01/2020 12:35, Massimo S. ha scritto:

...snip...

Hi Doug,

i've moved to MMLEM.OS2 AN driver (1.1.3), but i'm still
seeing poor
datarates 4,7-6MegaBytes/sec  laptop -> AOS 503 VM
(the VM is hosted on a intel xeon 8 cores supermicro server)

massimo
more tests:
virtual-nic: AMD 1core 2,5MB/sec
virtual-nic: AMD 2core 3,5MB/sec
virtual-nic: MML 2core 4,5MB/sec
with MMLEM is syrely better
but very far for a VM that has his storage on SSD
and connected with Intel Gigabit NICs
any help?
Well, the AMD device is 100 Mbs, while the Intel device is 1000
Mbs, so you can't compare them. Since NICs work at a limited
speed (very much slower than any modern disk drive, even at
1000
Mbs), I don't know why you are seeing those numbers. My guess
is
that you do not have a good setup.

we have see allmost all parameters...

It would be easy to miss something.

You also need to remember to
mark virtual disk drives as being SSD, in the VM, or VBox will
insert seek delays. It doesn't matter what the real disk is.

already set SSD on all VMs
moving a 6GB file from a partition to another (all JFS)
inside the same guest VM i get >100MegaBytes/sec (also
120MB/sec)
so it's not a disk datarate issue

thanks

i've tried an old eCS2.2b guest on VMware hypervisor ESX 6.5
running on
the same hardware

i get about 20MegaBytes/sec ftp datarates...
same eCS 2.2b on vbox i get 4,5MegaBytes/sec ftp datarates...

(not talking that with Vbox i can't autostart VMs at boot)
There is a way, but I don't remember how. I am sure it is in the
docs
somewhere.

there is a way under linux as host
i'm running WS2019 with i'm much more comfortable

anyway i've found a way to start the 2 VMs at Win logon
which is sufficient for me at the moment

there is also a software that runs VMs as services
but it cost 49$

https://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/Install.html

i've already bought the software that do live bkups...
anyway i will mind if buy it

there is also this software:

https://github.com/onlyfang/VBoxVmService

that's free, but it has issues (it don't work at all, sigh)

I don't know anything about any of them. I use VMs to be able to run
various versions of software, so I can try things, when something
isn't working. At the moment, I don't have a good setup to try
running a FTP server, so I can't try that without doing another
install.

it's a different kind of use, you run guests for lab purposes,
for devs use, or test use

i must run VMs for server use (web, email, ftpd, webmail etc..)
so they must run 24 hours per day
and they have to be:

1) stable and reliable
2) fast in performances more or less like on the bare metal
3) they must bkup theirself without having to be powered off

point 1 and 3 we are OK now with Vbox
the bad point is the number 2 and only for LAN speed

if i find a free sw for live bkups of VMs under ESX
i will go with ESX has hypervisor

massimo
>From the little that I know about ESX, it does not virtualize a
machine. It shares a real machine with more than one operating
system. If it works, use it.

i still have to find how to schedule bkups
how to add notifications

i've found "GhettoVCB"* that's free runs under ESX free
hypervisor
and do live bkups (i mean bkups without turning off the VMs)
but i still have to find a way to schedule it
e.g. one time per night...

I never bothered under windows, although the Task Scheduler
should run a program, at a scheduled time. Most operating systems
have some sort of Cron program.

you are a bit confused
Vmware Vsphere ESX Hypervisor (free, but also the versions not free)
has its own OS that runs on the bare metal and it's not Windows

( while MS Hyper-V runs on Windows core, a free version of
Windows server that comes without the GUI, but has a free
and very powerful offline web gui, it's name is "WAC"
https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/overview )

maybe noone knows here, but there is a Windows server free
it's name is Windows server core, it has no windows gui
but you can admin it with batchs, powershell and WAC

and it uses NFS as protocol that i don't like so much
anyway i also have a Qnap nap that use NFS
so i could use it as storage for bkups...

* https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

I don't use windows enough to worry about nightly backups.

again VMware vsphere esx hypervisor don't runs on Windows
it's a CD that you install on bare metal and you have
a web gui to administer it
you can also activate an ssh with a shell that's similar to *nix

I use
RSync under OS/2 (using the DragText scheduler). There is
DeltaCopy, that runs RSync under windows. I don't know if it would
do what you want.

i use rsync under eCS to bkup application servers like mail, web server etc..

all theese kind of application servers bkups will stay also on my new
Virtualized architecture, but i also want the full bkup of running VMs
i don't want to have to reinstall eCS or AOS if a server die

i want to simply import the VMs bkups on the server 2 and play the VMs

I still think you have a bad setup in VBox, but I don't have the
time
to try to figure it out.
the CPU is a xeon 8cores but clocked at 2Ghz, i guess that Vbox
is very
"clock/frequency" oriented, the much higher is the clock, the faster
are
performances

There are a lot of pieces that fit together, to improve performance.
A fast host definitely helps, but that isn't the only thing.

yes, but compeared with MS Hyper-V or Vmware Vsphere, Vbox
it seems very limited to me...

this is my tought at the moment
as far from my tests, MS free Hyper-V is way the faster
hypervisor
around
but unfortunately eCS/AOS don't run under it :(
this one does everything, live bkups, live replica and
comes with a number of interesting features

AFAIK, Hyper-V only works with windows guests.

absolutely not, this is a fake

Hyper-V is tested, used and certified to run also
a number of linux distros (redhat, ubuntu, suse etc...)

old versions of HV also ran eCS2.2b, but after some
update (i guess version 8 of VMs it's no more compatible)

there was a post, some time ago, in this mail
list, about how to make a modern VBox setup for OS/2
(probably
eCS at the time)

i'm subscribed since 3th jan 2020 :(

massimo

Web archives are publicly available at: http://lists.2rosenthals.com,
but it seems that a lot of content went missing, when the Arca Noae
servers crashed. I keep them for one year, then delete them. What
you need would be somewhere in the middle of the missing stuff.

I guess I need to do the setup thing all over again, when I find the
time.

anyway let's try to understand if there is something no good
let's take VM1:

general:
type: IBM OS/2
version: eComStation
advanced: shared clipboard: shared

system:
memory: 4096 MB
boot order: CD and HDD
chipset: PIIX3
point dev: PS/2 mouse
extended functions: I/O APIC on
processors: 2
execution cap: 100%
estended features: PAE/NX: on
Vt-x/AMD-V nidificate: off
acceleration:
default
VT-x/AMD-V: on
paging nidificate: off

screen:
all default values

storage: IDE/PIIX4
use host cache I/O: yes
type of storage: vmdk file
ide primary master
ssd: yes

audio: disabled

lan:

my architecture need 2 NICs per VM

nic 1
connection: NIC with bridge
name: Intel I350 Gigabit Network COnnection
advanced:
type: INtel PRO/1000 MT server (82545EM)
mode: permit all
mac ....
cable: connected

nic 2
connection: NIC with bridge
name: Intel I350 Gigabit Network COnnection 2
advanced:
type: INtel PRO/1000 MT server (82545EM)
mode: permit all
mac .......
cable: connected

serial ports: all disabled
usb: all disabled

that's all

the VMs are stored on a single Kingston SSD
(in the future will run on a raid1-mirroring with Samsung evo SSD)

if i increase the core number of the guest VM, the lan speed (ftp datarates improves)

massimo

Подписаться: Полностью, Дайджест, Заголовки.
Отписаться
Написать администратору списка рассылки