Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Ed Durrant" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [Virtualized eCS][eCS-Technical] VBOX question
Datum: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:38:03 +1000
Za: Virtualized eCS Users Mailing List <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com>

Cliff Scott wrote:
** Reply to message from "Ed Durrant" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com>
on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:08:01 +1000

Cliff Scott wrote:

Yes, that's easy. You should be able to browse for a network printer from the Add Printer Wizard (I *hate* those dumb "wizard" things which M$ pushes). If that doesn't work, try entering the explicit share name, e.g., \\COMPUTER\PRINTER . You should be able to get to it. Make sure that the blasted Windows firewall on the host (the machine hosting the printer) is either off or allowing connections to its shares (no, the firewall isn't always modified upon enabling a shared resource...don't ask).

Tried and no connection to the printer. The local peer network is on a
different net than the DHCP in VBox gives. Trying to give the VBox a fixed IP
doesn't work either. I'm using the Nat network access since the other driver
messes up networking on the host computer. The Vbox machine says it can't
access the peer network which I understand since Netbeui isn't loaded. Ideas?

Hi Cliff,

  That's correct NetBeui wont traverse IP networks only IP and IPX (Netware) will. You need to go to IP printing (LPD). To do that at the printer end,  you need a printer with a network card set to IP printing or a printer server box (HP, Linksys, Belkin etc) that connects on one side to the printer and the other side to the Ethernet cable.

  I think you said the printer in question is connected to your wife's Windoze PC ?  Windoze itself (AFAIK) doesn't support acting as an  IP print server, however I am sure there will be third  party software that will allow it.

  Just another thought (but it can be tricky to get working) - if you use TCPBEUI (Netbios over IP) from the eCS virtual machine and set up static mapping of the LMHOSTS file on the windows box and in the names list in MPTS - Netbios over IP settings (can't remember what the file is it writes) you "may" be able to get communication between the virtualized eCS machine and the Windoze PC on the external network.

Hi Ed,

Interesting ideas. BTW, I am using eCS as the host and W2K is running in
Vbox. I was hoping that the two W2K machines would talk together. I can
access the shared printer in eCS just fine, but it is probably working via
NetBIOS/NetBEUI.

OK, thanks for the clarification - I had it the wrong way around.

So the problem is just "getting out" of VBox to your local system ?

Can you ping your eCS machine?

Can you ping the PC with the printer attached?

What I would do (this sounds a bit "cludgy") but set up the LPD server on your eCS machine and point it to the existing, working OS/2 printer queue.

Now in the W2K system in VBOX add a "local printer" (I know its over the network, but Windows calls IP attached printers local!) - select create a new port - select standard IP printer port and put the IP address of your eCS machine.

That should work but only IF you can ping the eCS machines IP address from within VBOX. If not (and I presume you can get to your Internet router), you will need to add a route command in the router to send the traffic from W2k-vbox that is addressed to the eCS machine's IP address  back to the internal network, where it will find the eCS machine and its LPD server.

--
Cheers/2

Ed

eComStationAustralia podcast RSS feed http://eComStationAustralia.podbean.com/feed or iTunes