From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [Virtualized eCS] TAP driver killing TCP/IP bandwidth
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 01:22:03 -0500

Hi, Cliff...

On 12/09/09 10:43 pm, Cliff Scott thus wrote :
** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> on Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:01:33 -0500

Has anyone else seen this type of performance hit caused by the TAP driver?

I don't know if this qualifies as a performance hit, but with the TAP driver
my entire external network goes dead. I've spent many hours trying all kinds
of stuff and finally gave up. I also have a Broadcom B57 nic, but am using
the native driver.

That sounds like it might be related, considering the falloff in bandwidth I saw with the native driver vs GenMAC. If you feel like giving it a whirl, see if the GenMAC driver at least gets you out to the net. As I said before, I wasn't even aware of just how bogged my performance was until I tested it. Most of my LAN file transfers go over IPX, which has *always* outperformed TCP for me (when writing to NetWare volumes, at least; I really don't do much FTP-over-LAN, and no peer transfers at all).

Cheers/2, and thanks for following up, Cliff.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com