From: "Cliff Scott" <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [Virtualized eCS] TAP driver killing TCP/IP bandwidth
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:20:46 -0600

** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> on Thu, 10 Dec 2009 01:22:03 -0500

> Hi, Cliff...
>
> On 12/09/09 10:43 pm, Cliff Scott thus wrote :
> > ** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
> > <virtualized_ecs_users@2rosenthals.com> on Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:01:33 -0500
> >

> >> Has anyone else seen this type of performance hit caused by the TAP driver?
> >>

> > I don't know if this qualifies as a performance hit, but with the TAP driver
> > my entire external network goes dead. I've spent many hours trying all kinds
> > of stuff and finally gave up. I also have a Broadcom B57 nic, but am using
> > the native driver.
> >

> That sounds like it might be related, considering the falloff in
> bandwidth I saw with the native driver vs GenMAC. If you feel like
> giving it a whirl, see if the GenMAC driver at least gets you out to the
> net. As I said before, I wasn't even aware of just how bogged my
> performance was until I tested it. Most of my LAN file transfers go over
> IPX, which has *always* outperformed TCP for me (when writing to NetWare
> volumes, at least; I really don't do much FTP-over-LAN, and no peer
> transfers at all).
>
> Cheers/2, and thanks for following up, Cliff.

Lewis,

I've tried the use Genmac in the past and it doesn't recognize my card. I
submitted the details from PCI sniff and as of the last time I tried it still
wouldn't recognize it. Maybe I should try again since it's been a while since
I tried.

--

Cliff
eCS 2.0RC7