From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [vkapps-user] CRC error during PF unpack
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 15:11:00 -0700

In <list-480648@2rosenthals.com>, on 08/11/18
   at 04:51 PM, Lewis <lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi,

>Okay. that would imply that even if one or more of the files inside the
>PF  was broken, the CRC should still match.

Depending on your definition of broken, the answer probaby yes.

>If I extract the PF to a temporary directory:
>[d:\] e_pf.exe AOSBOOT.PF test\ <Enter>

That's the only test mode that's available.  Well that's not quite true.
There's also

  e_pf.exe AOSBOOT.PF test\ /B

which requests bootdisk unpacker mode, which I have never used.  I'm
pretty sure I've never had the need to build e_pf either.

Can I assume you copied AOSBOOT.PF from the stick?

>all files extract cleanly. If I then compare those files to the files
>used  to create the PF, they all compare without errors.

Can I assume you rebuilt the failing .pf file and the USB stick and that
the failure persists?

Did you happen to be able to see the name of the failing file?  I suspect
not.

A count of the dots might help too.  I guess we are configured for dots
rather than the default progress bar character.

If the problem persists, please open a ticket for this in the mantis
bugtracker, since it is related to the ArcaOS installer, and attach the
failing .pf file.

The unpacking code in e_pf and in memdisk are entirely different.  e_pf
does not appear to check the CRCs.  I guess Veit only implemented what he
needed at the time.

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net>  Warp/DIY/BlueLion etc.
www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com